going to get fallout 3

hodarak

just started downloading fallout 3 GOTY now from steam. I have never played the game before and was wondering should i play it through without any mods (since it's my first time) or are there any mods you would suggest? Please no spoilers, thanks.

It's really up to you. Some like to mod the heck out of the game, others, not so much. I played the first time clean, but that's just me. I suppose the argument is, if you don't play clean at least once, how will you know how good a moded game really is?

At least start it and play some without mods - so you will be able to know what you want changed in the game to suit you. Everyone has their own opinion on how FO3 should look, how things should work, what the NPCs should look like. Once you know what you would like to change look for a mod that does that.

If you play the "vanilla" game (no mods at all), you're going to discover a number of immediate things;

1) The game weapons might not pack the punch you want.

2) The overall lack of ammo (even if you do by chance find a weapon that you like).

3) The lack of "caps" - the in game cash.

4) Lousy armour and,

5) An early player home or base.

6) And lastly, your overall character's look - your hair, eyes, skin, face etc.

Let me start off by saying that you can solve 4 out of the 6 issues above without using any mods at all.

You can do this by entering in "console commands", let me explain.

Let's say you wanted to use a shotgun, in the game there is a unique shotgun called "The Terrible Shotgun",

it's an up close high damage weapon ... to get this gun and it's related ammo you would do the following;

1) Hit the tilde button (while playing the game), and then type the following "player.additem" ... you always use

this "prefix", if you'd like to call it that, whenever adding something to the game through the console (keyboard).

2) In this case it's "The Terrible Shotgun" and the code for the weapon is ... 0006B534.

It will look like this ... player.additem 0006b534 1 ... the "1" behind it is for how many of the item you want,

and then hit enter button and the weapon will appear in your inventory.

Now to get the weapons ammo you would hit the tilde button again and repeat ... player.additem.

and the ammo code is ... 00028EEA.

So it would look like this ... player.additem 00028eea 1000 ... the "1000" is for how many rounds of the

ammunition you want ... you can change it to any amount you'd like ... and then hit the enter button.

Now you've got a weapon and ammo without using any mod whatsoever.

Here is a link to the codes available (this is just one of many) ... http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/pccheatsf/a/Fallout3Weapons.htm

There are sites that have complete lists of weapons, ammo and armour.

If you go for Mods, go this route

First off, download NMM (Nexus Mod Manager), this is going to save you a lot of tears and frustration.

For me the big one is a decent, central base of operation to sleep and store stuff etc., and the best one in my

humble opinion is ... The Mini Hideout by Rayek ... http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/6394//?

it's simply awesome.

Then as far as weapons, armour etc., goes, check the Nexus Mods page and choose your poison.

So whether you're going to go, straight vanilla, console codes or mods, remember to just enjoy the game.

i prefer to play the game through clean first, and then on my second playthrough i modded it. i do this so i get a feel for what the game intended to be first, and then i get mods to suit my liking.

however, i am deciding on my first playthrough of Fallout NV to d/l oHuD and smaller text mods, because i hate the vanilla text, but that is the only thing i will change on my first playthrough.

but right now, i am having a great time on heavily modded Fallout 3.