SkyUI, SKSE, Steam, and NMM? Please help, I'm confused.

linkofrune

Hi guys!

So I've had Skyrim for a while and used Nexus Mod Manager on my previous computer and everything worked pretty great. I just recently got a new computer and played Skyrim without NMM for a while. I got it a few days ago and was looking through mods. I saw a User Interface called SkyUI and it said I needed SKSE to run it. I downloaded in on NMM and found SKSE on it's website and downloaded it. It didn't work so I looked up on how to properly install it. I could only find videos related to Steam. I just downloaded that and tried to follow the instructions. I imported Skryim to the Steam program and looked into my file folders. Skyrim hadn't made a folder in my "Steamapps" folder. I found out I have to BUY Skyrim via Steam to produce a folder there.

So I have a few questions:

Is there a way to not buy Skyrim via Steam and use SkyUI?

How I can download SKSE and SkyUI without using Steam?

Can I use SKSE and SkyUI with only NMM?

Or am I s*** out of luck?

PS:: A YouTube tutorial on all this would be AMAZING!

I'm a bit confused. Why is steam related to this situation if you didn't buy it on steam?

I'll try a guide. This is assuming you have skse and skyui NOT installed, so remove them.

- Open to your /Skyrim folder.

- Open the SKSE .zip file. Go into the folder inside.

- Copy and paste everything from there, into your skyrim folder. Say yes to anything it asks you.

- Install SkyUI with NMM.

- Launch skyrim using skse_loader.exe that is now located in your skyrim folder.

And there shouldn't be any problems.

Was your problem that you weren't using the skse_loader.exe? Because you need to do that every time you play if you have any mods requiring skse.

By the way, adding an outside program to steam only lets you launch it from there. It doesn't make that product a steam bought product, so it doesn't give it a folder.

Edited by freakiertruth

Piracy isn't supported here. You must buy the game in order to get support on Nexus.

Aha, oops. I didn't know skyrim was only available on steam.

In that case, you're probably going to have tons of problems using mods.

I don't know for sure, but if the official skyrim .exe is modified, skse probably wouldn't work regardless.

Piracy isn't supported here. You must buy the game in order to get support on Nexus.

I don't know for sure, but if the official skyrim .exe is modified, skse probably wouldn't work regardless.

Steam is required for authentication, ALWAYS. Getting it via Steam or in stores makes no difference, the game only installs when Steam authenticates it and then installs it the Steam directory. There is no importing into the Steam directory, Steam does that for you. If one does have need to import any Steam-enabled game into the Steam directory manually, it's pirated.

Steam is required for authentication, ALWAYS. Getting it via Steam or in stores makes no difference, the game only installs when Steam authenticates it and then installs it the Steam directory. There is no importing into the Steam directory, Steam does that for you. If one does have need to import any Steam-enabled game into the Steam directory manually, it's pirated.

I don't think he means he cracked steam to make it think it's a legit product or anything. Steam needs a valid key for that, and a pirated game would need a pirated client, which is sort of pointless. I think he meant the "add a non steam game" option, which lets you just pick any executable and put it in the steam library for ease of access i guess.