How do I import a custom 3d head (not FaceGen)?

DarkSpyda04

I'm modeling a head in 3Ds Max 2011 64-Bit and I can export .NIF files to Oblivion. However, I simply don't know what to do beyond simply modeling the head and all results to try have failed. I don't know if I have to rig the head, I don't know if I have to skin it, the export settings, etc, etc. Maybe it'd be easier for body parts or clothing so I'm choosing something difficult. I don't want to use FaceGen because I simply don't want to use FaceGen. I don't want to hear why importing from 3Ds Max is a bad idea. My aim is clear.

Are there any tutorials I can refer to? Are there any tutorials for exporting custom heads in Blender, even?

My knowledge is rusty but I think you may need to generate other files than just the NIF. You'll need an EGM (mesh morph targets), an EGT (texture morph targets) and a TRI (facial expressions targets?) to match with your NIF head or the game will crash. EGM and TRI can be generated by Scanti's Conformulator but I'm lost at how to generate the EGT. You may try to check Throttlekitty's Head06 Resource for some clues.

You may want to check out the default head meshes in nifskope to see how they are rigged and set in 3D space.

Some Resources:

A tutorial on EGM generation with the Conformulator.

Edited by AnimalRiot