Inventory and Menu Controls Rollback to good old v1.1

shiouka

After playing Skyrim shortly after release and dropping in due to lack of time I took it out again and found myself puzzled with the menu and mouse behavior after making the updates to the current version. The mouse can select items anywhere in the list.

Back in 1.1.xx (which I am used to) the only selectable items where in the center on the list next to the nice arrow (seen in the picture inside the yellow circle).

http://abload.de/img/skyrim_inventory_menuyuycp.jpg

Is it possible to revert the current UI to that state via a mod? I get many mis-clicks with the current version including wrong answers in dialogues, selling the wrong items etc and get really frustrated.

I would reroll the game to 1.1.xx if not for the DLCs I bought now and the many useful extra addons.

I searched the net for some topics on this, but found nothing really doing the work.

If someone with a little more knowledge about modding could help out here? I would help where possible, but until now I did not mod anything yet.

Thanks to all who might contribut here!

Yours,

Shiouka

Thanks for the fast reply, Bozzz123.

I just try the SkyUI, it's a totally different look and feel ofc.

What i meant is that in 1.1.xx the menu list (e.g. items, spells etc) where always "centered" where the symbols is, and only that one is selectable. In the current version of Skyrim 1.9.32.0 the nice "center arrow" is gone and you can click anywhere in e.g. itemlists and select items for sale, or dialogue answers.

I just would like to have the menu behavior from 1.1.xx back, if it is possible, cause I really liked it, in that point I suppose I'm a real stump :blush:

I anyone knows how to do it, I can offer my (still unexperienced) help in the work.

Thanks a lot for looking into this matter after all :smile:

[Edit]

After considering I think what i forgot to say is that I mostly navigate via keyboard in the menus.

What is disturbing me so much when using e.g. SkyUI is that a simple mouseover SELECTS the item, spell or dialogue option. In the releave version of Skyrim only the item next to the arrow (center) was selected, so it was much less likely to make mistakes... *sigh*

Edited by shiouka

Okay I think I understand what you are saying. However, you will find that many mods are greatly enhanced with sky-ui, and others will not work without it. This is because that skyui also alows for a mod managment tab, that allows you to change the mods settings within the game. I personally don't like the layout of sky-ui but I use it so I can have those mods that require it. Its your choice, though. But as for editing the menu Im sure there is a file that came with the update that changes it. Im not sure what file, though, so it looks like I wont be much help.

[...] But as for editing the menu Im sure there is a file that came with the update that changes it. Im not sure what file, though, so it looks like I wont be much help.

If anyone can provide me with some basic information where to start my search I would greatly appreciate it. When I have a point where to start looking, I hope something will be uncovered ;-)

Well there is this mod which improves the dialogue controls: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/27371/?

If that isn't enough then since this mod is an edit of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\Data\Interface\dialoguemenu.swf then I am guessing that if you were to uninstall and reinstall Skyrim without patching then copy the skyrim Interface folder to your desktop, let it update then copy the old interface files over the new ones then that might work as apparently they are just some form of Adobe Flash file and therefore unlikely to be version specific. Obviously back the folder up first though before trying this.

I just tryed it, though without success :sad:

The .swf files from the dialogue mod must be also included in the skyrim.bsa. This one i took from the original game and put it (after backing up and removing the updated one) in to my steam game data folder, but with no real changes.

The Arrow-Symbol (see picture up) must be included somewhere else, as well as the "new" (patch 1.2+) behavior of the mouse (where u can select and click any item in your menu lists, not only the one next to the arrow symbol in pre-1.2.xx versions).

I tryed a little with the other available files, but the game would not start at all then :pinch:

Maybe someone who knows more about SkyUI and Better Dialogue Controls can help here out with some hints / knowlegde? Would be GREAT!

Highlight and text position move at the same rate, highlight is determined by mouse position if mouse is moved after the menu appears. Mouse control overrides keyboard control. Best thing to do when in inventory or dialog is to not move the mouse. Kind of tricky when the mouse wheel is the best scrolling option. If the option to select is not at the arrow you can scroll the list to the top or bottom, sync up the text and highlight then go back to the option that you want. Else use the mouse to re-position the highlight.

Also note that there is a bug where when one of a stack rather than the whole stack is moved out of the inventory the highlight moves to the entry above. This happened a lot to me with potions. I ended up just paying attention to where the highlight was rather than what the arrow was pointing to.