Game slows down on specific places

mathguareschi

Hey everyone.

I'm having a little problem with specific game locations. The game gets very slow, even to click options and with conversation with others, which is really annoying. The locations are almost all the houses in Leyawiin (I've noted it on the Mage's Guild and Ahdarji's house) and Bravil Mages Guild. It also gets kinda slow running in the wilderness when it's raining.

I know my PC it's by no means high end, but in other places it runs ok. Is there any configuration I can change or a mod which could help me?

My guess is the firelights. It happens in a minor scale when I grab a torch, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

What's your video card and what settings do you run Oblivion on?

Older cards are stressed pretty heavily by dynamic lights and shadows. If you have a fairly decent card (550 TI or thereabouts) I don't think you should see a noticeable drop from torches or rain.

I know you can turn item fade down to about 50% and gain some fps without a noticeable drop in graphics quality. Sure, the bottles and plates from a quarter mile away will disappear, but I hardly consider that a downside.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

My video card is this: Intel G965 Express Chipset Family. Pretty bad, eh?

Anyway, Oblivion is running on low settings (not the lowest, I think). I've tried some mods that change grass and other minor stuff and it helped a little. The only real problem is Leywaiin houses. i've also noted that Anvil Mages' Guild slows down the game wuite a lot. It's annoying.

I'll turn the item fade down as you suggested but I'm still open for more suggestions! :)

Thanks again.

You could be running into the A-Bomb stuck animation problem. If you already use Wrye Bash it has a utility to fix the problem ... if not try Oblivion Animation Fixer (OAF).

One caveat if you use Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE). After running OAF on your .ESS file make sure to rename a copy of the corresponding .OBSE file to match the fixed save. For example if you have a save MyGuysSave01.ess it will have a matching MyGuysSave01.obse (providing you are using OBSE). After you run OAF on MyGuysSave01.ess you will also have a fixed file named OAF_MyGuysSave01.ess. All you need to do is make a copy of MyGuysSave01.obse and then rename it OAF_MyGuysSave01.obse.

Takes longer to describe what to do than to do it.

• 8 months later...

Bumping this old thread.

You could be running into the A-Bomb stuck animation problem. If you already use Wrye Bash it has a utility to fix the problem ... if not try Oblivion Animation Fixer (OAF).

One caveat if you use Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE). After running OAF on your .ESS file make sure to rename a copy of the corresponding .OBSE file to match the fixed save. For example if you have a save MyGuysSave01.ess it will have a matching MyGuysSave01.obse (providing you are using OBSE). After you run OAF on MyGuysSave01.ess you will also have a fixed file named OAF_MyGuysSave01.ess. All you need to do is make a copy of MyGuysSave01.obse and then rename it OAF_MyGuysSave01.obse.

Takes longer to describe what to do than to do it.

I've read the description and it doesn't seem to be the case to use this OAF. But thanks for your reply :)

I'm looking for some .ini configuration that perhaps fix or reduce this issue. All this time the game slows down on specific places. Leywaiin Mage's Guild is the most emblematic. Gives me the chills to start a new game and think about talking to Dagail about the recommendation :P

Does anyone knows what exactly happens there? My guess is dynamic light and shadows, but I'm not sure.

Any tips?