Missing Head

ZodiacBlack

I've been working on this Elin mod, trying to get it to ESL or ESPFE for so many hours I might just give up and toss it in the bin. Everything works but the instant I make it light, the head just straight up ghosts on me like Christmas past. I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I checked the files and directories a ton of times, using SSEEdit, nifskope, and outfit studio. It all seems to line up... But the head just won't show up. Any kind of help would be great, and please ask me anything that can help you figure this out together.

TBH, I don't know "Elin". From your questions, I'm assuming it's a follower mod, right?

One question first: Did you "compact form IDs for ESL" (or something like that - don't know exactly how the feature is called in SSEEdit)? Or did you change the plugin's file extension to .esl (which you should NOT do - adding an "ESL" flag to the plugin header is enough)?

If you did one of these two things (or both), the problem probably is that the game can't find the headmesh.

Solution in both cases:

- Open the plugin file in the Construction Kit. Re-export the head mesh (find the follower under "actors", select it, hit "control-F4").

- Now find the newly created head mesh (data/meshes/actors/character/facegendata/facegeom/[your plugin's name]).

- Rename the OLD head mesh to the name of that new head mesh. Delete the NEW head mesh, only keep the renamed OLD one.

- Now search for the newly created tint mask in data/textures/actors/character/facegendata/facetint/[your plugin's name]

- Do the same as with the head mesh: Rename the OLD file after the new one and delete the new one.

- Open the head mesh in Nifskope. Find the head mesh, click on "BSShaderTextureSets" (or something like that - can't check ATM) to expand it.

- Direct the facetint texture (should be the second texture entry from the bottom) to the renamed tintmask. The path in NIfskope should read something like "textures/actors/character/...."

Hope this helps. Otherwise feel free to ask again.