Crashes when entering area.

CommanderEwok

There's a specific part of the Oblivion world map that CTDs me when I enter it. I don't think its a mod problem but I can't be sure. Its the area in the blackwood section around the Drunken Dragon Inn, Haunted Mine, and just outside the lake next to Fort Teleman.

Can anyone help me with this bug? I need to get to the Magnus stone for Kragneir's Death Quest, but I can't because its inside the crash-zone.

Edited by CommanderEwok

Try the 'coc center and wait 72 hours and a bit' trick. Gives the game world's cells a chance to reset without the player triggering game scripts etc.

Open the console using the tilde (~) key, found just below the Esc key on standard keyboards. At the console prompt type 'coc center' (without the quote marks) and hit Enter. You'll be transported to an open plain with some trees visible in the distance. Using the game wait menu wait three day (full 24 hours) and then a bit more for good measure. Open the console again and 'coc weye' which will transport you to the fisherman's shack at Weye (or another location if you know the correct location code). Travel to your problem area and see if it's fixed.

Try the 'coc center and wait 72 hours and a bit' trick. Gives the game world's cells a chance to reset without the player triggering game scripts etc.

Open the console using the tilde (~) key, found just below the Esc key on standard keyboards. At the console prompt type 'coc center' (without the quote marks) and hit Enter. You'll be transported to an open plain with some trees visible in the distance. Using the game wait menu wait three day (full 24 hours) and then a bit more for good measure. Open the console again and 'coc weye' which will transport you to the fisherman's shack at Weye (or another location if you know the correct location code). Travel to your problem area and see if it's fixed.

Done that. Didn't fix it.

Ya, I saw your reply to that same suggestion I'd made earlier. If it is in fact related to a mod you should be able to track down the offending mod by deactivating them one or more at a time (just a bit tedious to do if your mod list is extensive).

I did that with the only mods that could have affected the area. I went looking through the forums and came to the conclosion that something had become corrupted, and I didn't have a save to before it became corrupt, so I'm starting again. Pity, I was clocking up over 400 hours on my first playthrough which was the one I've got the problem on.

Usually when I see this it is caused by a mod you already removed NOT by an active mod. The game is trying to load something that is no longer present. These can be a bear to fix without going back to a much earlier save. To figure it out - IF you were using OBMM it shows all mods loaded for every save. Go back and load an early save - then go to the place it crashes - if it doesn't crash, jump up and try again jump back and forth until you zero in on the last save that worked - then compare the mods between that and the first one that crashed to find the mod. Whether you put it back or not, that is where you will likely have to continue from.

If you were not using OBMM - it will be even harder to find.

I don't have any saves that go back to before it was corrupted, I try to keep as few save files as possible to keep my computer from being filled with old save files. As for finding what's missing I don't have the patience or persistance for something like that. Thanks for suggesting it anyway.