SkyrimSE Crashes and Makes Hard Drive Disappear

k5tQp2ET

Skyrim crashes and after that makes my ssd nvme m2 hard drive (where skyrim, all mods, mo2 are installed) unreadable - cannot read, copy or delete, interract with any file. Have to restard computer every time. How can this be even possible? Is this mechanical error? Only Skyrim crashes after I go out on open world.

It happens to us too, and we have no idea why. Black screen.

We have to restart PC with "hold press" of start button.

Crash always happens, if we wander away from the PC too long (?), while the game is paused/in menu.

Time amount unknown. To prevent it, we now quit the game, and exit to desktop, before leaving the keyboard to temporarily do other stuff.

Edited by Gorgopis

Okay, sounds like this isn't necessarily a game or a mod problem. It is a computer settings problem. Check your power settings. Unless you are on a laptop, and not plugged in, you should have never sleep, and never turn off the screen. That can mess things up. Go into the advanced power settings, and set to high performance. Check the hard drive, as well, and set that to never sleep. These settings can mess somethings up. Also, don't leave your game runnig for a long time. Save, quit, and you should be alright.

• 1 year later...

I currently have the same issue while playing SkyrimSE.

The game look like it crashed (freeze and shut down). The SSD M2 I have Skyrim installed on also stop working entierly.

Just restarting my PC seems to make the SSD work again like nothing happened. I have this issue only when I'm playing SkyrimSE, Cyberpunk, BG3 and many other games work just fine. Did you find a fix or where the issue came from in your case ?

If this is happening with M2 SSDs, make sure that you have sufficient ventilation within your case.  May not be the cause 100% of the time, but an overheating M2 SSD could certainly cause the game to crash when it becomes unresponsive.