Lanceor's turn to have crash problems!

Lanceor

I got that feeling too... I couldn't find any errant processes hogging up processor cycles, but removing that media program with the codecs seems to have helped.

Which reminds me of something, could it be the audio?

Fallout 3 had a problem with ffdshow audio decoder and it had to be disabled for Fallout3.exe, it would cause performance issues and crash the game after some time. Seeing as how Oblivion is based on the same engine it might be having the same issue. :confused:

If you want to try that, here's a how-to I found in an old "Fallout 3 Crash Fix" thread:

1. Click Start

2. Click “All Programs”.

3. Go to the ffdshow folder.

4. Click “Audio decoder configuration.”

5. In the left hand pane, click “Info & debug.” or "DirectShow control".This is the second entry in the list.

6. In the right hand pane, near the bottom, find a check box labelled “Don’t use ffdshow in:”

7. Check that box, and in the text box underneath (it lights up when you check the check box), add “fallout3.exe” (don’t include the quotes). If there is already something in that box, put a semi-colon ( ; ) after what’s already there, and fallout3.exe after that. Do NOT use spaces, since ffdshow will think that’s part of the filename. A valid entry would be “explorer.exe;fallout3.exe” (without quotes).

8. Finally, click “Ok” and start Fallout 3.

Which reminds me of something, could it be the audio?

Indeed - I was having sound problems and read about codecs conflicting with Oblivion, which is what led me to investigate recently installed media programs. Removing the media program also removed a bunch of codecs, and that seems to have helped. :smile: