Tweaking Performance with a heavily modded game..

furnaps

I'm having some performance issues with how many mods I have installed.. So I need to figure out what to remove or what I can tweak.. My fps is very very erratic.. It will go from 60fps in some areas to 14 in others.. Seems I take a pretty big hit looking at certain areas outside and often I get hitching/stuttering which can be very annoying.

My Pc is running Windows 7 64bit , Intel i-7 950 @ stock speeds , 12Gb Ram , AMD 7970 with 3Gb of Vram and at stock speeds.

Here is my mod list Any suggestions to increase my performance?

I'm Using Wrye Bash with a Bashed Patch and use Boss for my Load order..

As far as Ini tweaks All I did was add 1 to the multithreading options..

Im also using OBGE with Godrays.fx, and Volumetric_SSAO.fx Shades enabled and in my ingame graphics options everything is maxed with HDR enabled and AA off..

For Better cities I am using the optional plugin for VWD because I am using RAEVED and have its two plugins that the readme said not to have enabled if your using better cities turned off.

Also I have quite a few Texture/Mesh replacers like QTP3, Mythic animals & Creatures, Improved trees and flora 1 & 2, Qarls lod normals, better tiling textures, and more.. For some reason QTP3 shows in the installers tab with a red box meaning some of the files are not installed as configured Im not sure if that just means that others are overwriting it or what..

Active Mod Files:

• 00 Oblivion.esm

• 01 All Natural Base.esm [Version 1.34]

• 02 Better Cities Resources.esm [Version 5.3.3]

• 03 bookplacing.esm [Version 1]

• 04 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.4.4]

• 05 DLCShiveringIsles.esp

• 06 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.5.2]

• ++ USIPS Additional Changes.esp

• 07 Better Cities .esp [Version 5.3.0]

• ++ LoadingScreens.esp

• 08 All Natural.esp [Version 1.34]

• 09 All Natural - SI.esp [Version 1.34]

• 0A OBGE - Liquid Water.esp

• ++ Symphony of Violence.esp

• 0B Sounds of Cyrodiil.esp [Version 1.1]

• 0C All Natural - Real Lights.esp [Version 1.34]

• 0D WindowLightingSystem.esp

• 0E Book Jackets Oblivion - BP.esp

• 0F ImprovedSigns.esp

• 10 RAEVWD New Sheoth.esp [Version 1.7]

• 11 DarNifiedUI Config Addon.esp

• 12 Dynamic Map.esp [Version 2.1.1]

• 13 DLCHorseArmor.esp

• 14 DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.8]

• 15 DLCOrrery.esp

• 16 DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5]

• 17 DLCVileLair.esp

• 18 DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.9]

• 19 DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

• 1A DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.6]

• 1B Sounds of Cyrodiil - Mehrune's Razor Add-On.esp [Version 1.0]

• 1C DLCSpellTomes.esp

• ++ DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.1]

• 1D Book Jackets DLC.esp

• 1E GrimbotsSpellTomes.esp

• 1F DLCThievesDen.esp

• 20 DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.11]

• 21 DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp [Version 1.0.11]

• 22 Sounds of Cyrodiil - Thieves' Den Add-On.esp [Version 1.0]

• 23 Alluring Potion Bottles v3.esp

• 24 Alluring Wine Bottles.esp

• 25 DLCFrostcrag.esp

• 26 DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.8]

• 27 Knights.esp

• 28 Knights - Book Jackets.esp

• 29 Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.1.3]

• 2A Sounds of Cyrodiil - KOTN Add-on.esp [Version 1.0]

• 2B Harvest [Flora].esp [Version 3.0.0]

• ++ Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp [Version 3.0.0]

• ++ Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp [Version 3.0.0]

• 2C Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp [Version 3.0.0]

• 2D Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp [Version 3.2.0]

• 2E ATakesAll.esp

• 2F Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp [Version 1.0]

• 30 Better Cities Full.esp [Version 5.3.0]

• 31 Better Cities - VWD of the IC.esp [Version 5.3.0]

• 32 Better Imperial City.esp [Version 5.3.0]

• 33 Better Cities - All Natural.esp

• • • All Natural - Indoor Weather Filter For Mods.esp [Version 1.34]

• ++ Weapon Improvement Project.esp [Version 1.3]

• 34 Immersive Weapons.esp

• 35 Bashed Patch, 0.esp

You've got some pretty heavy graphic fixes in there, which include QTP3's and Godrays. That's one of your issues. Another big FPS eater is the water, ESPECIALLY Liquid Water. Water in general, even with vanilla settings, can cause FPS problems because its always rendered even when not visible. This means if water is below the ground, it still gets rendered. I'd take some of those out. Try one at a time at first. I'd start with Liquid Water and then take out Godrays if that still doesn't improve things. Next, try the reduced versions of QTP3.

I'm not seeing any engine related problems, usually ones that add a lot of NPCs in, so I don't see that as an issue. Have you used the 4gb patch for ram? If you don't use it, the Oblivion engine is limited to 2gbs.

Finally, I'd suggest looking into Oblivion Stutter Remover: http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/23208 and use a cell purger like Streamline: http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/10400 but don't use the FPS options in Streamline since you're gonna be using OSR.

If you're still not getting improvements, change some of the game settings by turning down shadows and lighting effects from the torches and such.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

The FPS drop would mainly be due to processor overload. Your GPU should be able to handle that mod load without problems.

I get similar performance to what you're reporting, perhaps slightly faster in the "slow" bits. By comparison, I have a faster processor but poorer graphics cards, especially in the VRAM department - i7-2600K overclocked to 4.5 GHz, 2 X nVidia GeForce GTX 580 with 1.5 GB VRAM.

The GPU's are hardly stressed and the VRAM maxes out occasionally when using QTP3 Redimized (therefore your should have no problems at all). However, one of my processor cores is always maxed out, the second is always over 60% and presumably Oblivion doesn't know how to use the others.

RAEVWD seems to be the biggest killer and will probably have the biggest impact on your FPS.

The FPS drop would mainly be due to processor overload. Your GPU should be able to handle that mod load without problems.

I get similar performance to what you're reporting, perhaps slightly faster in the "slow" bits. By comparison, I have a faster processor but poorer graphics cards, especially in the VRAM department - i7-2600K overclocked to 4.5 GHz, 2 X nVidia GeForce GTX 580 with 1.5 GB VRAM.

The GPU's are hardly stressed and the VRAM maxes out occasionally when using QTP3 Redimized (therefore your should have no problems at all). However, one of my processor cores is always maxed out, the second is always over 60% and presumably Oblivion doesn't know how to use the others.

RAEVWD seems to be the biggest killer and will probably have the biggest impact on your FPS.

I dunno Lance, Liquid Water is pretty harsh on the system too, coupled with all the extras he's got as well.

The Oblivion engine absolutely does not use more than one core, even if you're on a quad core system. So yeah,RAEVWD might be the culprit. I had forgotten about that one.

I actually did just install a patch to allow Olbivion to use more then 2gb from the nexus here and the crash prevention mod that help to actually allow me to go to the port area where I was crashing previously.

But my MIN Fps is still the same.. It seems to drop the lowest when looking at the large cities..

I really don't want to "remove" any of the mods I have.. as all the ones you mentioned are the most important mods visually imo..

Is there any tweaks with RAEVWD that could increase my fps? I have the optional textures for it installed for QTP3 and Bromrets..

Its kinda playable but when the fps drops to 14 its noticeable and sometimes stutters when it happens.

I'm going to install the mods mods you mentioned as well, the stutter remover and stream line.

Thanks.

That's it really. A fully modded Oblivion will bring any modern computer to its knees. You'll have to decide what graphical enhancements are most important to you and select accordingly.

Even if you could do a load of overclocking and found enough magic tweaks to double your framerate (which isn't going to happen), you're still only going to get 28 FPS.

That's it really. A fully modded Oblivion will bring any modern computer to its knees. You'll have to decide what graphical enhancements are most important to you and select accordingly.

Even if you could do a load of overclocking and found enough magic tweaks to double your framerate (which isn't going to happen), you're still only going to get 28 FPS.

I would be happy with 28 as a Min framerate :) .. I'm really thinking that RAEVWD is the biggest hit.. But it adds so much to the game argh..

I am now getting a Minimum of about 24fps .. I disabled the cities Architecture and Imperial city architecture from RAEVWD.. its raining in my game lol so i cant see how much of a difference it will make visually. Maybe I can install my Flora textures back in now lol..

i need to look if theres a console command to change the weather

It was def RAEVWD that had the most hit after turning off those options for the mod I well over doubled my Min Fps.. I just reinstalled the Flora overhaul mod and a few other texture mods I disable to try and get more fps before messing with RAEVWD and my Fps didn't go down so seems like RAEVWD is a resource killer.. But I couldn't go without it :) its such a great mod Im glad just disabling those features was enough.

I honestly can't find any more texture mods to replace textures I dont already have replaced..I think I have most all the textures in the game replaced.. Anyone Know if Qarl's replaces the textures in Oblivion realm? Looking in Bain Matched tab I dont see anything that jumps out at me as being a Oblivion realm texture.

i think Qarls do's not do the oblivion realms, anyways u can easly test this by downloading a oblivion realm texture replacer make it OMOD ready and see where it conflicts, if u installed Qarls with OMOD it will even tell u it conflicts with Qarl, but u will have to see for urself, i at some point had my oblivion high graphically modded but i stopt that, so i can't help mutch with that anymore