R&D XCOM Map Alterations

Amineri

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far so good. Abductions and terror missions can be altered with new mod successfully. I even managed to hide a SkyRanger. :smile: Haven't been able to hide the shadow it casts, but it's outside map bounds and is not typically visible anyway. Moving SkyRanger is theoretically possible, but most of the maps don't have enough space to do it. I made a new placement option: ESL_NoEvacZone. It spawns all the soldiers, but not the evac zone. For evil types of missions. :smile: So my plan is to leave Skiranger exactly where it is on a regular missions, and hide it for no-evac missions.

Assault council missions seem to be working as well, although they have LZ objects duplicated at the moment mutator kicks in. Level is already streamed at this point, so this must be Kismet delayed events (I recall seeing "pause" event somewhere inside a Kismet).

Rescue missions are not working, because of the Kismet scripts. But those are better edited via changing stream package anyway. Nevertheless, I'll continue investigating these missions.

All the screenshots are taken in the presence of random pods and random meld mods. Obviously, new LZ locations require both. LW already has random pods integrated, but random meld mod in its present state might not integrate well into LW, as it already has meld spawning changed. So it's time to decide what to do with meld. :smile:

PS Will try to remove dropship shadow one more time and release a new mod version after this.

Updated mod version: http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/download/1000004056

I've removed HideDropship call for this version. It should work properly on all maps, but it won't change LZ and soldiers location on Rescue missions. And I haven't tested EXALT missions yet.

I was mistaken, when I said that LZ objects are duplicated for streamed maps. After inserting even more logging I found, that some of the base map objects can not be found. For example, Outpost Rescue stream doesn't have LZ border object inside, but this object persists on the map and can't be found by usual means. When I tried to find LZ object before streaming, I got a crash. Probably because of the native post-streaming function calls: RebuildVariableMap() and RebuildClassMap(). Whatever they do, they make old references invalid and prevent me from finding an object, which exists on base map, but not in the stream.

An absent LZ border object also means, that we won't be able to move LZ on rescue missions. They're too heavily Kismet-scripted. I don't know if all the other streams lack LZ border object, but moving LZ for those missions is questionable for now. But we could still try to move other objects, like bombs and nodes.

Edited by wghost81

I was testing random LZ with random pods and random meld installed - all works fine. However, I'm thinking about re-writing random meld mod to fit vanilla mechanic of easy-hard containers. I'll make it a mutator too and it will be LW compatible.

Outpost rescue stream is driving me mad. Since LZ border object has deleteme tag, it does get deleted with Kismet. And stream has no LZ border object inside. Yet, it exists on the map! I suspect it gets placed by Kismet. One more mystery like this, and I'm going to make Kismet visual viewer for the maps. :smile: