R&D XCOM Map Alterations

Amineri

If we had game sources, we probably could. :smile: But we don't even have a compiler and byte-coding is a pain.

Hobbes77, I'm thinking about, say, 4x4 squares with "open borders", like roads for urban maps. They could make smaller pieces "compatible" with each other, load one and stream 3 randomly. As I understand UE streaming, it is quite possible. But it would require a lot more complex design, I agree.

Edited by wghost81

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what other aspects are you able to randomize? I know you can do MELD and EXALT array randomization, but are you able to move other objective objects like the bomb and its power nodes?

Also, I know you typically can't add new objects to missions, but I was under the impression that you could use the complete array of alien types was in every map, despite the fact that most maps can't get all the types (no Ethereals on terror, etc). I also seem to recall you talking about turning any map into terror/abduction, which implies that you have access to civilians. Does this mean you could import the NPCs from council missions to random maps (and possibly give them new spawns)?

Following up from the first question, I assume you can't add the bomb, the arrays, or the MELD to new maps, due to it not being a included object, even with our abilities to add and remove objects from UPKs, correct?

Final question: Is it possible to randomize XCOM's starting location and exit point to a random point on the edge of the map (yeah, it probably won't match up with the Skyranger model, but eh, who cares; unless of course that could be moved as well)?

Well, the way I understand it, you can add anything you want on the map. Meld canisters are actually loaded dynamically by requesting their content from some upk with art assets. Same thing with aliens and dynamic aliens. You can spawn any object and load any content, you just need to know where to find it and how to do it with Unreal Engine script functions. Problem is - without an actual compiler writing such a code is a pain. And debugging is even more pain.

It seems possible to randomize XCOM starting position. I will look into this and also adding Meld for reused maps after I'll finish my current playthrough with random + larger pods and stronger EXALT. :smile:

In one of these threads, which I can't pin down at the moment, an occasional commenter mentioned that we should be able to create our own packages that could then be used with the game. According to this tutorial, it can be done in conjunction with the UDK: even using assets from the existing game packages, but also by adding new art assets to new maps included in the package. "Named variables" are the means by which values from one package may be accessed in another. It seems that combined with 'streaming' map content from our new package, this would open many possibilities. (This is just from a surface skimming of the articles I found while trying to identify the mechanism for adding content.)

As is often the case, knowing the correct terminology used in a community can make all the difference when searching for related material. Here is a list of "Legacy" (pre-Unreal3) terminology. Which led to the following:

Apparently "Unreal Tournament 3" has a class called

class FirstMutator extends UTMutator;

specifically to enable 'mutators' to make changes to the game. This tutorial on how to create one may be helpful IF that class still exists in XCOM.

Note:

Mutators only ever make small changes to the game - and should only ever make small changes. Because they do this, many mutators may be used at the same time in combinations for all manner of wierd and wonderful effects - this is the benefit and the flexibility of the mutator.

Sounds like the majority of our mods. Large mods like "Long War" would be considered "custom content".

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Ooh, new idea. I just remembered that XCOM has that drop off animation for the skyscraper levels. If we could use that for every level, the XCOM spawns wouldn't look so out of place. Then again, we might have clipping issues with certain ones, such as the forests, but overall it would be an improvement over magical teleportation.

I don't think it should be too hard to hide the existing skyranger, correct? I believe that EW already hides one of them when it sets the XCOM spawn on certain maps.

Mutators are cool, but have to be compiled as a class. Also in UDK Game they have own menu, where they can be set on/off.

Mutators are cool, but have to be compiled as a class. Also in UDK Game they have own menu, where they can be set on/off.

Seemed pretty cool to me as well. Should be a much better method to get small mods to coexist.

First question is: does that class still exist, or did Firaxis remove it?

Second question: If it doesn't exist, can it be added?

-Dubious-