Having a PC Lockup Issue.

Scyris

When I play oblivion in fullscreen mode, sometimes at random the game will crash with a nv_something.dll driver has stoped working, the pc goes to 640x480 res with what looks like NES color, a few seconds later the pc totally locks up and I have to power it off and back on to get out of it, Only does this when running oblivion in fullscreen, Never seems to happen in a window.

have 182.06 Geforce drivers

Geforce 8800 GT 512 mb DDR3

2gb Ram, Onboard sound card

250 gig hdd.

Any idea? this just started randonmly the last few days, before that it'd just.. well actually it'd do the same thing, cause the pc to lock for no apparent reason

There is a pretty extensive discussion here: Nvlddmkm stopped responding

Seems to be a popular problem with nvidia drivers on Vista. One of the fixes, similar to what Dezdimona said, has to do with overheating. The individuals were able to fix the problem by replacing their cooling fans. There are other things listed also so you might give it a read.

Most of the people having the problems tend to be people overclocking their computers.

PCs make great dust bunny farms. It only takes a couple of months for the dust to build up enough to cut down on air flow enough to cause overheating. To clean it , you are going to have to open the case. Be sure you have unplugged the power, not just turned it off as there is a keep alive voltage always on the motherboard - even when the power switch is off.

Use low pressure air - high pressure can damage the board. Or a vacuum with a brush attachment. Use a clean 1 inch paint brush to loosen the dust for the vacuum. Do not rub hard with the vacuum brush.

Be sure to get the dust out of the fans and air channels on your video card and CPU heat sink.

Don't neglect the power supply. Be sure to clean all of the air intakes fans and air outlets.

You will probably find more dust than you believed was in your entire house.

Here is the thing, it ONLY does this with oblivion in fullscreen, I can play it all day windowed without a problem. This does not happen in any other game either. it says nv_display driver has stoped responding. I'm in WinXp Sp2

Here is the thing, it ONLY does this with oblivion in fullscreen, I can play it all day windowed without a problem. This does not happen in any other game either. it says nv_display driver has stoped responding. I'm in WinXp Sp2

As said above, this is most likely an overheating issue.

Try this, assuming you've taken the excellent advice in this forum and cleaned your computer, leave the case open and aim a fan at the inside. If the problem goes away it's definitely an overheating issue.

I had the same problem (BSOD) when my driver installation got

corrupted somehow. Or the 180.48 drivers were bad.

I am currently using the 181.22 drivers and they work great.

Do you have a mod that uses Pluggy ?

Pluggy seems to affect many computers in this way.

Especially the newer v.1.22.

Archived