Pants VS Tops

noblue4u

Anyone infuriated by the fact that you can only wear complete outfits rather than mix and match different tops and bottoms? Imagine wearing Power Armor below the waist and a plain shirt up top!

To go even further, what if we could separate boots, gloves, and jackets as well? Imagine wearing a Regulator Duster over your Chinese Stealth Armor!

Any skilled modders with hearts of gold willing to undertake this will earn the appreciation of a lot of Fallout 3 fans.

You do understand that what you are asking is a royal pain in the...... to do? (not to mention potentially not possible).

I dunno about pain, but potential makers are few. People are lazy :/ I realy would love this mod to see! I give gudos for the maker, if anyone wishes to make one. :thumbsup:

You do understand that what you are asking is a royal pain in the...... to do? (not to mention potentially not possible).

It's not like I'm demanding that someone do it. I'm just throwing it out there as a suggestion. I know practically nothing about modding, after all.

Firstly, you'd have to get past the fact that fallout haves only 1 slot for 'armor'. All other slots, to my knowledge, won't conform to full body movements. It *may* be possible being the same engine than oblivion, but this step alone may be a huge work in itself.

Even if you got past that (which seems highly unlikely), now you'd need to manually edit each texture and each nif file of armor, split it in two, and make them attach to the proper places.

Of course, now most of your armors would clip with their lower halves, not to mention when you mix them, meaning hours of testing combinations and editing meshes to reduce said clippings as much as possible.

Then, you'd have to meddle with game ai so that npcs equip correctly...

Then add all the new pants to the game, one by one. give everything the proper enchantments, and deal with those that have scripts attached

Then add them to the npc inventories, shops and leveled lists.

Finally, hunt containers and cells that have armors and add the missing halves.

The final mod would be incompatible with most of the other existing mods, due to the fact that you've edited every npc, every store, most leveled lists and a good deal of the game cells and containers.

When i say a royal pain in the.... to do i really REALLY mean it. ^^

it would be a royal pain...

but i'd like to see a few armor meshes with the jackets removed....such as the leather armor, wasteland trader and wanderer...etc...with maybe a t shirt or something underneath

that would be easier to do if you just made it as a separate armor.

• 1 month later...
I am quite interested in this myself. Having no idea what im doing I did manage to chop Kendo2's Brown leather dress in half (sorry kendo2 :( ) using NifScope only. I then changed it to use the nose ring slot (lol) with GECK. works perfectly. In game i can equip the boots/stockings with any top. It does clip with items that have pants/boots but works fine with say the micro bikini. Now heres the rub...in NifScope the brown leather dress is allready choped into pieces...so all i did was to remove the branch i wanted gone, BUT i wanted to make a Merc Cruser outfit without the pants however the model in NifScope is just one big piece.....Tried my hand at blender and failed...somewhere between Nifscope->blender->Nifscope->GECK i broke it and GECK crashes whenever i try to load the new mesh.

Archived