Protocol for old mods that need updating? Moderators pls reply.

starlitegirl

What is the protocol for mods that have not been updated since the last patch? I've come across several mods that had their last update well before the 1.9 patch release time frame - like 2012 - and I'm wondering if they should be reported and maybe hidden until they are updated to the current patch especially when there are many posts in the comments that report crashes or issues. I've come across some that were gone and wondered if that's the case and if out of date mods (last update before current patch release) should be reported to protect users from downloading files that could cause problems with the game especially their saves.

Thanks.

Not all older mods have ESP content that clashes with game updates so that would be REALLY tricky to screen for. I had a situation like this with a race mod though that I just plainly didn't have time to bring up to date and ended up just hiding it so it wouldn't screw things up for any new users.

There is currently no formal mechanism for dealing with this (and to be honest, I am not sure there needs to be one, because as nuska says, it would be impossible to screen mods that edit default game scripts if the modder did not upload the source files). A significant number of mods will work with every version of Skyrim because their edits are unaffected by any of the official patches--which is not to say such mods would not generate problems if they were poorly made and would generate the same problem regardless of which version of Skyrim the user may be running.

For mods that do not support the latest patches and has not been updated for a while, the only indication potential users can find seems to be checking the mod description and/or the mod comment section to see if the modder has indicated that they no longer support the mod or if users have reported that the mod contain default game records or modified default game scripts that are 'outdated' and do not support the latest patches.

So in answer to your question, I guess in terms of 'protocol', what you can do is to leave a message in the mod's support/comment section for other users as a 'warning.' But you need to make sure that you -know- for certain the mod does in fact need to be updated in order to work properly with the latest patch (so you can provide the details to support your 'warning' to other users). The reason being that I've seen many 'bug reports' from users in the comment section of some mods that have not been updated for a while, which actually had nothing to do with the mod but are issues isolated on the users' end.

Edited by ripple