Script Command To Control Other NPCs in-game.

XxLunaMothxX

I've had some ideas for my Fallout NV, Silent Hill Mod's endings where you control a different character depending on the ending outtake. Is there a script command in the geck, or NVSE to do so? If so, could someone help explain it to me or something? Or if there is another way to do that. Thanks for the help in advance!

-Regards

I don't know of any commands that let you literally take over another character. Top of head, maybe you could simulate it. Disable third person mode, disable the NPC, move the player to where the NPC was, remove the player's inventory (presumably including pip-boy), give the player the NPC's inventory and equip the desired items with a script. Adjust player's attributes & perks if appropriate. Spawn an instance of the player, move the player's inventory to that instance, put it where the player was and let the player get a look so they know what's going on. Set a flag to control dialog so other NPCs talk to the player as if the player was the NPC being simulated. A bit complicated, but if the action is fast it could probably be pretty convincing.

I thought about that, but it'd be nice to actually be able to use third person. idk. Also, there is a command to control npc's in skyrim isn't there? I've seen people do it before; it's like "tc", or "player.tc" or something. But the thing is: that's skyrim.

There's also a Fallout 3 mod to do something like that here: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/8250/?

Also, doesn't the groovatron feature NPC control?

OR is there a way to make the player have the exact same face, race, etc as the NPC, and then a way to change it back? Anybody? Please?

Edited by 2cooldays

Ignore the outlined stuff, anyway...

I looked at that mod, and I cannot make heads or tails of it, but it will run in New Vegas. You'll need to recompile it and change the target varaible in the main script to targetref or something of your own design. Beforewarned, that variable is called almost 100 times in the main script. You'll also have to remove all of the olf Fallout 3 item calls in the scripts for them to compile, as well as convert all of the Fallout 3 stuff to New Vegas.

The following is nonsense I wrote before I checked the link.

There is no way to control an NPC via the player, but you can force the player to look like someone else, for the most part. What I'm about to say has a severe drawback, you cannot reverse the player back to his or her original appearance.

In order for you to have 3rd person view and make it appear you are now in control of another person, you will have to do some setup. Firstly, you need to have your NPCs for this portion of the mod set in stone, meaning you will not make any changes to them before release. Once you have your NPCs the way you want them, and if you want the player to have the same hair as the NPC, you will need to make a custom race for each of those NPCs. Each race for each NPC should have the proper skin tone, and only have the one hair type as their sole usable hair. When you use the command Player.MatchRace (NPC), the player will match the skin tone and hair for that NPC. Then you must run Player.MatchFaceGeometry (NPC) 10 to make the player's face match the NPC's. There is no way to make one NPC match the facial hair of another NPC without resorting to merging the selected hair and facial hair meshes, conformulating them to the human head, and making a custom texture so you have a single mesh node to even conformulate properly.

If you went all out, you can effectively make the Player look like anyone else, and give the illusion of controlling another person. If the other NPC is of another sex, use Player.SexChange -1 (will change the player to their opposite sex).

To restore the player to their original appearance (as much as is possible) before changing the player's appearance to another NPC you can use the MatchRace and MatchFaceGeometry on a standin NPC, that MOST NOT HAVE a facemod or bodymod texture set to them, otherwise their skin tone will not change. The only downfall to this is that you cannot change the hair back to it's original appearance, only resting it back to default or whatever the NPC had if it was a base hair from the game. Nor can you remove facial hair from the player, so if they had facial hair before changing, it'll stay. You can counteract the former by having a plot reason to use the facegen to restore the player's hair, but as of right now, there is no way to counteract the later to remove facial hair from the player.