Error: Failed to Initialize Renderer

HaseoSkeith1701

Hi, so i figured out my problem i received this error after updating my graphic drivers via NVIDIA drivers. I just ended up having to update another driver.

1. Right click on computers (at start or desktop either or)

2. Select properties

3.Select hardware

4.Click device manager

5.Under display drivers double click on whatever you driver you have.

6.Select driver

7.Click update driver

Follow further instructions from the computer!

-Hopefully this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but I was able to resolve mine. I was having the same problem.

I was working off the default profile in MO, but then I created my own profile and was able to launch it from that profile with no problems. I switched back to the default profile and and got the error again. I have not had any problems launching from the second profile.

Hope it helps!

I love you! it worked :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but I was able to resolve mine. I was having the same problem.

Â

I was working off the default profile in MO, but then I created my own profile and was able to launch it from that profile with no problems. I switched back to the default profile and and got the error again. I have not had any problems launching from the second profile.Â

Â

Hope it helps!

Thank you man, it worked for me! Thank you very much.

Â

I was working off the default profile in MO, but then I created my own profile and was able to launch it from that profile with no problems. I switched back to the default profile and and got the error again. I have not had any problems launching from the second profile.Â

Â

Hope it helps!

Thank you man, it worked for me! Thank you very much.

I use MO & I got this once the culprit was a downloaded .ini file I used :wallbash:! Lucky for me I understood the message. I launched the launcher in MO & Pick a Resolution my Monitor supported. :yes: When you created a new Profile in MO you get Vanilla .ini files, so load the Default profile with fresh vanilla .ini files or do the above.

PS

If you use NMM delete .ini files in My Document. Then Run the Launcher with Steam Fixed.

So .ini files are the problem. Hope this helps future readers to quickly fix it.

Good Gaming & Cheeers :smile:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If your problem is being caused by what I am experiencing which is > Dispaly Port link failure, and failure to recover from standby. Yes, it is still a thing in 2017. Whether this is a driver, OS, or hardware problem, I still haven't figured out. Likely MS windows, but drivers may play a role as well. The problem is a persistent one for me, and while it does not gimp Skyrim every time, it does occur on occasion, twice recently.

As it happens , I get the Renderer error message and cant start skyrim. What also happens, is, the Renderer info text in Documents\My Games\Skyrim, gets replaced by a blank text document. Repasting my backup into.txt does no good as the game deletes it and replaces it with a blank copy every time I try to run skyrim.

The Fix?

Restart PC. This resets the video driver which is at the heart of the issue.

Thats it

I can keep my INI in read-only mode, that is *not* what is causing the problem in my case, nor does setting it to read fix anything. In this case, none of the fixes suggested here do anything for the issue and this should not be surprising. The video driver itself, is comprised just enough in this state to prevent a game like Skyrim from loading. You may not have a driver corrupted so badly you have to reboot, but, that does not mean it is not damaged. And the failure to recover from standby bug, is sufficient to cause this to occur.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/displayport-liink-failure-error-after-pc-wakes-up/fe2fe811-33ff-4834-8d15-399532907329?auth=1

I will be turning off power saving to the monitor so it stops going to sleep. I would also add, this is not a case of drivers bios not being up to date, they are. All of them.

Edited by Mebantiza

• 2 weeks later...

I had this error a few minutes ago. After 6 years of no problems, suddenly I get this message. None too pleased.

Anyway, I saw a post I think on steam where someone said that they'd get the problem when they tried to start the game a 2nd time after they'd already started it. They said they'd just clear out the processes in task manager, and it'd be ok.

Well, for me, after reboot, it will take "a while" to start the game, much longer than after I've run it at least once. It had taken long enough that I'd forgotten that I started the game, and tried to start it again... then I got the "game is already running message" followed by "failed to initialize renderer".

So I rebooted, and now it works.

This jives with the drastic measure of un/reinstall, changing .exe security to "allow all users" and a couple of other things... if there is a hung process that has attached the renderer, many of those fixes will free it in some way.

So if you have this problem, reboot.

Hell it's no worse than all the other "all you gotta do" or "simply" or "just do" or "only thing i ever do" answers in this thread.

• 1 month later...

99% this will work, restart your NVIDIA Geforce(card) in Display adapters

1) right click to the start button

2) click Device manager

3) click Display adapters

4) right click NVIDIA Geforce GTX or your card....

5) select Disable

6) and do it again but.. Enabling it

Hope it works and enjoy....