Which Military Branch would you rather serve?

Tiber Septim

Which Military Branch will you rather serve?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Read the instructions and story for more further details

• United States Marine Corps.
    • United States Army
    • United States Air Force
    • United States Navy

I served under the U.S. Navy for a few months. My foot got messed up (it's already messed up, they didn't know though) and I got a medical discharge. It's alright though, if that would have never happened, I wouldn't have met the love of my life. :)

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Illiad86

Your lucky, man! For me, if it isn't because of the Marine Corps, i would never ever find the most beautifulest, kindest girl i've met at the Customer Service Building in Camp Pendleton. Alas, she rejected my date offer. Now, i'll have to find a way to fix it...

Regards,

GySgt. Tiber Septim

Just wanted to say I completely respect and salute every member of the Military.

Also, for me it would be the Air force. I love to fly and nothing is more fun than piloting an F-16 if I had the chance. (I do fly a F-16 in the closest thing you will get to a real Fighter jet simulator.)

• 3 weeks later...

does one get cheesburger discounts at wendy's if they join the forces? or can i at least take captured rpgs back home to idaho to let my 7yr old son play and train with em?

jokes aside (mostly) :P

any idea how reasonable it is to join the us/uk/can forces as a foreigner from one of your occupied countries?

i heard id require a greencard but that the process would be speedier if i apply for the forces at the same time?

also do i just walk up to a nearby us base and shout "i offer myself!" or how does that work?

and would i actually still have the possibility to become officer over the age of 25? id like to be stationed at a beach in hawaii preferably if that helps :D

I voted for Marines.

ALTHOUGH, I would much rather serve under the SAS. While the marines have all the tech and get helicoptered in and out, the SAS rely on their cunning and skill. Making bombs out of 2 twigs and a leaf etc.

lol dezi :D

if i told you that i can swim would that count?

@katshy

thats nonsense (no offense)... everyone in the need of building an actual bomb out of twigs does so, if theyre able to that is and the SAS for fact doesnt get a special macgyver training course apart from the usual how to build a shelter or salvage food and similiar survival stuff... the demolitions expert may know how a bomb works and can hence improvise one out of simple items, but every demo expert can do that even those of swat of whatever, even your geeky comrade in chemical class in school might be able to pull it off...

anyway SAS is not comparable to the marines, there are simply much less of them, theyre more like SEAL, a small unit of highly trained best of the best dudes often called elite or commando but more commonly known under strategists as disposable last hope of the losing/poor/weaker side, guerilla fighters so to speak... nowerdays they also support regular troops but were invented cause there was no hope left but to send out a few suicidal punks/badasses which actually suceeded even tho noone dared to believe in it and thus were kept for whatever need there might arise.

the marines in the uk would be the royal marines which do the exact same thing as their u.s. counterpart namely do landings and other funky stuff from seaborne operations (most of the time) just that they speak cockney and other weird accents but texan...

Hey, Im now expert on it, I know absolutley eff all. Its just, the SAS does seem to be more... Hmmm... Cant explain.

Anyway, the bomb thing was just to say that they are more survival based. The US have always had more tech than the British, so to make up for that, the British army and SAS have had to train soldiers how to survive without the need of technology. Twas all I was saying.

Although, this is the debates section, so I guess we could argue... I mean debate.

youre basicly not so wrong about this,

however military leaders often realize too late that their men need certain skills or equipment but nevertheless adjust to that.

you have a pilot bail out in the middle of the atlantic and he survives, soon more drop out of the sky and dont survive hence leaders take this guy as an example and explore his way of surviving and then start teaching this knowledge to the other dudes (pilots are expensive to train btw).

The SAS in itself is a unit which more or less has to operate independently from supply etc and thus developed quite a bunch of emergency solutions to problems which are, if they are sucessful, usually given on to the next training unit.

having lots of high tech doesnt help if it breaks down and that somin most commandos have to deal with, the us army might have slightly better stuff due to the better funding but it mostly useful to "normal" units, translators are quite nice for army troops for example, commandos usually know the native language (at aleast one in the team), you never know when that thing might break, commandos dont have a lab to repair it at hand, the army would have a whole shipment of replacements ready.

However this is nothing that would be restricted to the SAS, every unit learns and adapts. Commando units simply need more of that training to survive on their own as they are basicly alone. The SEAL or KSK or whatever "elite" unit you think about works basicly in the same style and was told how to survive on their own.

Nevertheless units like marines, army or navy also learn such things but in a simplyfied way and less comprehensive due to their rather supported combat role in which they usually have other units to cover their arses (pardon me french) and give aid if needed.

marines in comparision to other units like the navy are much better physically trained most of the time due to their multi environment role which might even include swimming ashore with equipment if things go wrong, the navy doesnt need that, they stay onboard or drown, marines would swim for the next island and start slaughtering whatever there is, thats prolly why the marines call themselves badass. they simply fullfill another role which needs other skills. navy commandeers ships, gives coastal support (utilizing aircraft aswell) and transports troops, marines are transported and attack, mostly on land nower days.

now you might wonder why the mil leaders dont simply give every soldier a badass body disipline and the psychical skills of einstein, well, the reason is money and time. training a commando takes ages which costs money and while they train they are usually not available for service.

you prolly favor the SAS simply cause you dont know enough about other units of the same type like KSK or SEAL (just examples) or know only the stuff from movies where you have the cowboy style seal, the icecold KSK and the gentlemen SAS with their lovely accents ;) (no offense, thats were we all start)

of course one would rather serve with the funny gentlemen than the icecold killers or the brainless cowboys

but thats only a movie ideal, in reality theyre all the same, highly skilled and usually intelligent. (and texan or saxonian are quite lovely accents too :D... if one understands them that is :rolleyes: )

-----------

to comprehend:

-all units learn state of the art survival skills if its useful (no point in teaching a tank commander how to survive in a life boat if hes not regualry at sea with his tank)

-commando units learn more of that stuff cause they are largely unsupported in all kinds of environments

-tech is most useful to general units where replacements are handy not saying commandos dont use state of the art stuff but they have to survive without too

-units are differently trained due to their different roles

-most countries yield the same units with equal skills

-marines fit another role than the SAS

-accents are a minor detail to be overlooked ;)

general units roles:

army: large scale land warfare

navy: sea warfare, logistic support, coastal support

air force: air warfare, air support for sea and land, sometimes also logistics support

marines: quick reaction force traditionally deployed by the navy (hence the name)

SAS/SEAL/KSK/etc - commando units: small scale, guerilla warfare, recon, sabotage, etc, often behind frontlines (on the bad side lol)

army, navy, etc usually have their own commando units,

these units like the SAS are generally not independant from the above main forces, SEAL for example are apart of the navy, KSK is part of the army and so on...

thus to get to seal for example you should become a navy dude first

there are alot of these commando units for all kinds of duties like recon, mountaneering, diving, parachuting, etc

some units fit multiple roles like the SEAL (Sea Air Land) or KSK (special forces commando)

the flow from commando unit to regular unit might be vague at best sometimes (training wise and role wise) and one can basicly only judge by the number of people in them which is actually an elite commando unit