CTD while loading game

zenon49

Hey there! i have a strange problem! i have a savegame and sometimes (50%) it occurres a CTD while loading.

i tested this with the same savegame file. i have installed some mods(60+). i tested loading with TES5Edit and tried to identify a specific mod causing this... no success . what can i do? I have no idea what may cause the problem...

Edited by zenon49

If the same savegame crashes 50% or the time, but successfully loads 50% of the time, I would consider the problem is related to your memory.

Have you tried loading the game with all of your graphics settings at the lowest possible?

Also, when the game loads successfully, you might try this-- sell or store all of your stuff, dismiss your followers and then go to a small interior location (like the drunken huntsman, for example.) Save the game again.

Close out and try to load that last save and play. Do you still crash, or are you able to load successfully?

If you are able to load successfully after implementing one or both of those changes, then you are dealing with memory problems. Reducing items, followers, and open quests can help if it is the RAM, Also, of course, making sure your pagefiles are not being used up by other computer apps, services, or processes and playing with Steam in offline mode. Reducing graphics settings, lighting/texture mods, ENBs or graphics tweaks can help if it is VRAM related.

Hm. Well, now it crashes always. But strangely just in the exact moment I do something(mouse or keyboard). (I can watch NPCs walking around..)

Does this indicate something special or should I maybe start a new game & test the suggested stuff? Btw I reduced all graphics settings to minimal. TIA

Edited by zenon49

OK, so as I understand you, the game was crashing on load, now it loads but crashes once you try to activate the menu, draw a weapon, etc. Is that correct?

What exactly did you do between those two scenarios?

It appears to me still to be a memory-related problem, although it might possibly be related to mods (for example, items referenced in your savegame that are no longer present), or even a corrupt save.

Did you do the things I suggested in the first post? What did you do, and what were the results?

I had this problem too, it gets really annoying. I found out it was due to save corruption. that usually happens if you have a lot of mods and you've removed/added mods while playing through these saves. Do you have a basic level 1 Nord Prisoner save at the bottom of your list? When this happened to me, I loaded the Nord first, beause he won't crash, then loaded the corrupt saves. if it's crashing when you do random stuff though, I have no idea. If you have a lot of script-heavy mods, that can usually knock your game around a lot and cause random CTDs to happen.

well, I deleted some of the script heavy mods and started a new game.. thanks for the info, i think ths scripty stuff is causing this.

I have a question related to savegames.

when I load a savegame that has some esp/esm files that I already uninstalled and then overwrite with a new savegame... is this new "clean" ? or did i carry the scripty stuff to the new savegame? Is really a new game the only chance to get a clean save? TIA

Edited by zenon49

From my experience, once you've removed/added a lot of mods to a savegame, that gives it sort of a "default corruption" which sometimes causes problems and sometimes doesn't do anything. If you make a new save on your corrupt save, it will be a little bit cleaner - like peeling off a couple of layers of the corruption, but it won't be totally clean.

CTD on load also can be related to load order issues. If your mods aren't properly ordered then the game will freak out as it tries to load them(it's loading them as it loads the save) and it will crash. I can't say much about what your load order should be, because I still don't think mine is perfect, but after a lot of playing around with it, I've got my game at a point where it won't crash on EVERY load, but it still does sometimes. And I don't know if it was like this for you, but it's always on the first load after starting the game that it will crash. That's why loading the noob save first worked for me.