Quick Question - Quick Answer

Cipscis

Just one question this time- how do you generate LOD explosions? I'm using the Megaton Nuke via script and an X Marker, and the explosion won't show up if it's not within non-LOD range. I've generated LOD landscape, objects, etc- still not working.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@cmal:

Well that sucks... There might be other ways to get around this though, if you're still willing to give it a shot. Instead of changing the value of the item when you enter the repair menu, you could change it instantly when you exit the barter menu. As far as I can remember, the player never exits the barter menu and goes straight back into GameMode, so only a MenuMode block would be required. You can check when the player exits the barter menu like this:

int bBarterMenu

Begin MenuMode

if bBarterMenu != MenuMode 1053; Barter
	set bBarterMenu to bBarterMenu == 0
	if bBarterMenu; Just entered barter menu

else; Just left barter menu

endif
endif

End

If that doesn't work out, then I guess it really comes down to whether you want to rely on the restraint of the player or a broken feature for specific functionality. Since the way that the feature is broken will require extra cooperation from the player anyway, I don't think it will add anything in its current state, but the most desirable outcome is still to make it a working feature so that you can rely on it.

@EMH:

I'm a little confused by your last post, if the explosion isn't in the same worldspace as the player, then shouldn't it not be expected to show up? Why not put the X Marker in the same worldspace as the player?

@Church Frost:

Check the "Is CharGen Face Preset" box in the NPC menu

Cipscis

Well, I meant that the explosion doesn't have it's own marker (like fire, for example)- it just has the X Marker. So what he had said doesn't apply, I can't just click a check box on that object. So how is the one that goes off in Megaton LOD, then?

@cmal:

Well that sucks... There might be other ways to get around this though, if you're still willing to give it a shot. Instead of changing the value of the item when you enter the repair menu, you could change it instantly when you exit the barter menu. As far as I can remember, the player never exits the barter menu and goes straight back into GameMode, so only a MenuMode block would be required. You can check when the player exits the barter menu like this:

int bBarterMenu

Begin MenuMode

if bBarterMenu != MenuMode 1053; Barter
	set bBarterMenu to bBarterMenu == 0
	if bBarterMenu; Just entered barter menu

else; Just left barter menu

endif
endif

End

If that doesn't work out, then I guess it really comes down to whether you want to rely on the restraint of the player or a broken feature for specific functionality. Since the way that the feature is broken will require extra cooperation from the player anyway, I don't think it will add anything in its current state, but the most desirable outcome is still to make it a working feature so that you can rely on it.

This worked splendidly. This is basically the method I had in my mind before I even started writing the script, just wasn't sure how I would implement it in Fallout. Once I started looking at the GECK wiki, I got a sidetracked. I didn't even realize I could use MenuMode to return a boolean I could check against.

Hello, i just switched from Oblivion moding to Fallout, im new to both :) but one problem im having to no success is, when i create a new item from an old one, say... sunglasses, the NEW item will show up hanging from the PC's left earlobe, and this includes all helmets, glasses, bandanas, masks, and prewar hats. how do i keep the item from becoming an earing and keep it where it is suppposed to be? i have even tried to create an exact copy of the prewar baseball cap and didnt change a thing cept for Editor ID and tell GECK to make a new item instead of renaming, and that didnt work at all. I am sorry if there is another post answering but i am still unable to find this question anywhere or if im asking the wrong one?

@EMH:

I still can't think of any reason why your explosion won't be appearing. I've had a look at the setup for the Megaton Nuke explosion, but I can't find anything out of the ordinary in the explosion, X-Marker or script. As a wild guess, are you sure the the explosion isn't blocked by an occlusion plane or something?

@cmal:

Cool, I'm glad to hear that it's working now. MenuMode is a bit unique in that it exists as a blocktype and a function, although it is not commonly used as a function.

@asylumcell:

I've never encountered this problem myself, but if I remember correctly the solution is to select "Update FaceGen Model Availability", which you can find under "Character", near the bottom of the drop-down list.

@TehL33tPenguin:

I'm pretty much completely clueless when it comes to modelling, so I'm afraid I don't know what your problem is or how to fix it, however it doesn't sound to me like you've given enough information for someone knowledgeable to know what the problem is either. While I don't know exactly what questions will be useful, I'll take a guess. Could you please provide more information on what program(s) and method(s) you used to edit the Railway Rifle? I also know that custom models that work fine in-game don't always display properly in the GECK, have you tried viewing your new model in-game?

Cipscis