Quick Question - Quick Answer

Cipscis

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a question,

I'm trying to make an item that when equipped gives me the same visual effect the Feral Ghoul Reavers have, but when choosing scripts the script does not appear as it is an effect type and not object type.

the actor effect ID is DLC03ReaverGlowSpell and effect name is Radioactive Burning.

How would I go about to have this effect on my character?

@Rafahil:

Without knowing how the script works, I can't tell you how exactly it could be applied to the player. It might work as an Object Effect, or it might need to be rewritten first. Could you post the script and describe the effect you're looking for so that those of us who aren't familiar with it (like me) know what you're trying to do?

Cipscis

Oh, that's very easy then, assuming that the item that you want to associate it with is apparel. You'll need to create a new Object Effect ("Apparel" type), and add that Base Effect to it as an effect item. Then, attach your new Object Effect to your armour and it will apply the shader when worn.

If the item is a weapon, then you'll need to do something a little more complicated. You'll need to re-write the script as an object script, so that it looks something like this:

ref rContainer

Begin OnEquip

set rContainer to GetContainer
rContainer.PlayMagicShaderVisuals DLC03GhoulFXShader

End

Begin OnUnequip

set rContainer to GetContainer
rContainer.StopMagicShaderVisuals DLC03GhoulFXShader

End

That script should then be attached to the appropriate weapon

For anyone who was confused by the short function names "pms" and "sms", they are aliases of PlayMagicShaderVisuals and StopMagicShaderVisuals, respectively.

Cipscis

Hi I'm trying to follow the Geck tutorial to build my own vault however after placing 2 large rooms, 4 small rooms and halls adding the clutter I did the navmesh, saved came back later loaded it and the rooms / halls vanished leaving clutter and a staircase. Putting this down to my crash happy geck I retried it with an earlier save. But after every navmesh or optimization, loading the vault in the render window causes the rooms to vanish :confused:

Thanks for any help,

hmmm I tried it out on the Shady hat as an example and followed your instructions carefully, but when ingame the shader does not seem to appear. I didn't change any scripts or anything as I don't need to put it on a weapon.

@Hatikvah:

I assume you're trying to view your cell in the GECK? If so, make sure that the view mode is correct - if you're viewing the cell in "Navmesh only" mode or something then the statics wouldn't show up. If that's not the case (double-check the Show/Hide window, which can be found under "View", just in case) then try refreshing the cell (f5), as the references may be hidden.

If your cell is disappearing in-game, then you've probably optimised it incorrectly. If this is the case, then make sure that all of your portals are associated with the correct room markers, and that your room markers are all lined up.

@Rafahil:

If you had the hat equipped in the save that you loaded, then the shader would be applied as it's only applied when the hat is equipped. Just to make sure that everything's been set up correctly, here's a little checklist:

• Created a new "apparel" type Object Effect
  • Added the base effect used by DLC03ReaverGlowSpell to your Object Effect as an effect item
  • Attached your new Object Effect to the relevant hat

If I remember correctly, the hat that you've used already has an object effect, so instead of creating a new Object Effect you'll want to add the appropriate Base Effect to the already existing Object Effect as a new effect item.

Cipscis

I just tried it myself, and I see exactly what you mean. I don't know why, but the effect script's ScriptEffectStart block doesn't seem to be running. No need to worry though, I've since thought of a preferable method that doesn't involve altering any existing forms:

Instead, you'll want to create a new "Ability" type actor effect that uses "DLC03ReaverGlowEffect" as an effect item, and add the condition of "GetEquipped MS03StealthHat" to the effect item. Then, create a new "Start Quest Enabled" quest and give it a script like this:

Begin GameMode

player.AddSpell <GlowEffectAbility>
StopQuest <AddAbilityQuest>

End

Now, whenever the player has the hat equipped they will also have that shader applied to them.

Cipscis

EDIT:

It's probably also worth mentioning that when uninstalling a plugin that does this, the player must not have the item(s) used in the condition equipped, due to the way the effect is applied and removed. The effect will also only be applied to the player, using this method - it won't work on other NPCs.

Cipscis