.ini settings before modding

Deleted148849978User

Hello everyone,

What are the recommended settings before starting to add (tons of) mods?

Back on Oldrim, I used to leave all at Ultra and simply disable the Antialiasing, but in SE/AE there are several other options in the Advanced settings (Screen Space Reflections, Snow Shader ecc...). What do you recommend?

At the moment, I'm using an RTX 3060

Thanks

I'd really recommend using "BethIni". It helps a lot, if you want to change .ini settings fast and reliable.

In general, there is no "must have setting for heavy modding". Do some testing. Basically, "ultra" should work with your GPU. Otherwise, use "high": Less demanding, but almost as good looking as "ultra".

Screen space reflections is a matter of personal taste. Disable or enable as you like.

Regarding snow, most people probably DON'T use the "improved" snow shader. For dynmic snow to work properly, you must leave "projected diffuse" checked. Personally, I disable everything else. But again, test what looks best with your setup. There are a lot of variables involved: Snow textures, dynamic snow mod, ENB...

Oh, and do yourself a favour: Don't add dozens or even hundreds of new mods at a time. Always only add a few mods, then test. I'd recommend focusing on what I call "milestones": First get your game world straight: Landscape textures and meshes, player homes, other mods changing the landscape, water. Then maybe proceed with character overhauls and the like. Then mods changing combat / magic. And so on. Build up your load order step by step. And do extensive testing after each step.

If you install everything at once, you'll have a really hard time troubleshooting in case something goes wrong.