*RANT* How The BoS Is Disgraced In FNV

scottym23

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having spent months working on my mod I took a break over the weekend and ended up being bored so I bought FO3 and the DLC's on Steam, My old GOTY disc was eaten by a bored pitbull, and did a play through, Yay beer and Marathon Fall out.

In some ways, I enjoyed it more than FONV, in other ways It annoyed me. Still in all I enjoyed returning to the capital wasteland.

what annoyed me, slim pickens on weapons and gear, NPC's and creatures that were almost bullet proof, but could knock the pc on his butt with one or two shots or bites. In fact some were so over powerful that i almost resorted to cheating, It was actually common the moment I stimpacked or slept up to full health I was attacked and knocked back down to half or less with in five minutes or less.

Do not get me started on the Rad scorpions who shrugged off almost every weapon in the game including mini nukes.

Companions... Fawkes was really interesting when you first meet him, good story and background. As a companion he was just there. all of them were just there, I ended up dumping them because it was impossible to sneak and snipe, or lay mines and draw the enemy into the mine field and ambush because the companions would open fire the moment you could detect hostiles.

The BOS in FO3 was cool, and during conversations you find out that the Capitol wasteland BOS are not the typical BOS of the West Coast, Elder Lyons and his followers decision to fight for the area caused a rift, which resulted in the outcast BOS that you encounter all over parts of the Capitol wasteland.

So the BOS you encounter in FONV is the more normal BOS, insular, arrogant and a dying breed.

I have no idea what mods some of you might be using, but my most recent (and mod free) experience in FO3 did not show the lone wanderer as a Bad A... as soon as he left the vault. I was torn between being ticked and laughing when a mole rate almost killed my PC heading to the store. Oh and the foot race from hell trying to outrun Rad scorpions. Luckily some raiders got in the way and I left them to provide lunch for the six legged freaks, and again was down to three bars of health.

Both games have a lot to offer, neither are perfect. To be honest I enjoy the side quests, and many of the quests added by mods in FNV, far more than the main quest.

and those of you who have modded quests and such, you know just how time consuming and a pain in the butt it is to write dialogue for every npc that populates your mods, just like doing custom interiors for new buildings and settlements is. which is why few of the random or set dressing npcs have more than a few lines of dialogue and we modders many times just copy existing interiors to use, all to save time and energy for the stuff we really want to make special.

which you can bet the makers of both games did for exactly the same reasons. Time is money and they had deadlines.

the Open world concept might be under utilized by the developers, but it sure leaves a lot of options for modders to fill in the empty spaces and you have to admit that's a good thing.

Edited by JoKelly