⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

PSA To Anyone Interested In Modding Fallout New Vegas/New Modders

ToxicWhiteout

As i understand it's all about popularity, right?

Sometimes you can spend years on one mod and it will not get more than 5 endorsements.

And I'm perfectly alright with that.

I've never had the intention to create the next big mod and I'm sure as hell not going into it like it's a popularity contest, because then you get sloppy.

Plus, I'd rather have a small number of people discover and are willing to critique my work and point out things that could do with improving or redoing than large swaths of yes men who aren't willing to question any of my design choices.

Anyways, I've played Factions Reloaded - Followers and I really can't get into it. I wasn't exactly confident in what was on show in Legion and Raiders and playing Followers just showed me the big, glaring issues.

Some particular issues I have with it include it not being a master file despite the presence of NPCs with differing skin tones, duplicated cells (Duplicating cells in general is a MASSIVE pet peeve of mine.), most of the "encounters" being easily summed as "Guys fighting guys" and not exactly adding any depth to the immersion and gameplay other than cluttering up the environment. There's also some really nonsensical design choices. (The entire bunker underneath the mormon fort has non-euclidean architecture with a ladder going straight into a ceiling despite the presence of a second floor, doors opening up into the space outside of the cell, tiles outright missing altogether etc)

I could go on, but I feel like it's best reserved for another thread. I do kind of feel like you need to focus on giving your mods some much needed attention and work to get them into a more bug-free, high quality state before deciding you know all there is to modding because I get the feeling it'd leave a bad impression to new modders. Most of the advice is relatively sound regardless, but a lot of it just comes off as common sense to me.

Edited by BlooperReel

I remember my first mod, it was a horrible one, it was the ghoulified arcade Gannon. I later made a much better (but not great) big mike companion mod. I get your point completely scout201, arbitrary mods just thrown into goodsprings don't make a whole lot of sense. If you're a role player, hardcore mode gamer, or a freak when it comes to lore friendliness (which there's a lot more than you'd expect) then you chose your mods wisely. Especially if you have 80 or 90 mods active, any new ones you want to add have to fit in (especially in the middle of an existing save), and be worth it. I feel most goodsprings mod should fit in with the town, aren't god-like, and is a nice addition to anyone's game.

That being said, here's my message to new modders, "GO FOR IT! Do it, stop standing around and get started!". Don't be afraid, go ahead, we want to see your potential, every single nexus member could release a mod as awesome as Willow, beyond boulder dome, millenia's weapons, or Project Brazil. It doesn't cost money, it just cost time, patience, and perseverance. There are a plethora of incredible helpful video tutorials, written tutorials, and experienced modders who would be glad to help you out! Plus, even the simplest of mods, can make someones game that much better. If you're just adding some factionless armors to an existing vendor, awesome, now someone can look cooler, and not have to worry about hostile factions because of you.

I'm not very well known for anything besides my work on run a shop. Scripting in the geck may seem hard, but compared to java, it's easier than breathing. I'll take geck scripting over java any day. One day I hope to bring the same amount of Joy to the nexus community that they have given me. I'm saying is all it takes is Time, Patience, and motivation, and we have access to all those things here, we don't mod just to make the game more fun, we mod because it makes people happier. Playing an RPG with so many great mods is fun, but is more so when you have stress, mental instability, or a lack of friends (whether you have some or none), it becomes a getaway, a place where one can find peace and happiness. And on the nexus, anyone can find that joy, anyone can become famous, anyone can make friends, and the best part is that it's so much easier than it is in real life.

I encourage anyone with a great idea to open the geck and mess around, look at scripts, play with things, break things, fix the things you broke, etc. I thank the nexus and its community of modders and users for building memories. I wish anyone luck on starting a new mod, don't give up unless you're on your death bed, but hand it to someone so work on it can continue, and it will be published in your memory (I may be over-exaggerating, or am I).

And just to help you get started, here's a link to a man's youtube channel with some of the greatest geck tutorials ever:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Seddon4494

And here's a link of the greatest companion tutorial by ograyfox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt4oKj88hQw

And here's a link on the best way to lip sink NPCs within the geck while recording their dialogue within the geck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVFr20Nf0Ws

I wish you the best of luck on any of your modding endeavors, I hope those tutorials help you as much as they have helped me.

Edited by spartenkiller897

This has been getting a lot of hate. I didn't make this to insult people, and I definitely didn't make this to keep people from posting mods. I was honestly just trying to help people. I've seen a lot of potentially great modders come along in hopes of getting lots of downloads, and then giving up because they aren't getting those numbers they were hoping for. I'm trying to help explain that if you want a lot of downloads you have to put a lot of work into your mods. I'll try to fix it and make it sound less "rude", but I honestly don't think it really is.

To blooperreel: I completely accept the fact that you don't like the mod. While I put a lot of work into it, I admitted in the description that it isn't perfect and the quests are very simple. I'm still a very new modder, and I still am pretty inexperienced. However, you are being very hypocritical by saying that I put others down and then completely put me down. A lot of people's playstyles don't fit the Factions Reloaded mods and a lot of them do. I got a comment just today saying quote:

"I'd just like to say, i've been here for awhile, I've been on the New Vegas nexus since day 1, I've been on nexus for awhile, I've seen a LOT of mods come and go, a lot of great ones.

Your Factions Reloaded series ranks among the top I've seen, some great work, I highly appreciate the amount of effort you put as this is still my top played game.
Keep it up, i will endorse as soon as it lets me!"

I love getting comments like that. However, I also like getting comments like yours. I'm not afraid of criticism, and it doesn't hurt me at all. I just wish that you had stayed more on topic and not taken the time to insult my newest mod, which has nothing to do with this. However, if anything your comment helps me become a better modder. I don't understand your point about the pet peeve though. I did a lot of decorating to make the buildings that I did duplicate look different from the vanilla models, and duplicating interiors isn't a bad thing at all. It saves you an insane amount of time and doesn't hurt the player one bit. I still respect your opinion, but I'm just throwing mine out there as well.

I personally don't make rude comments on other people's mods. I just don't really do it. I have made comments with constructive criticism, but not anything that I would consider mean or hurtful and I definitely would never insult someone. I think that some people should get tougher skins, and learn to take criticism (which has been an issue that I've had to learn to deal with). However, I don't think that being rude to someone is ever okay. People put a lot of work into modding and being a mean person who just insults people's mods doesn't help anyone. (That last paragraph wasn't directed at any single person).

Edited by TheScout201