Multiple Chinese Stealth Armor with separate textures?

raziel014

Hi, I was just wondering, how can I create several editions of an item and then have them use separate textures?

I want to create several versions of the Chinese Stealth Armor and have custom textures on all of them.

I tried to edit it in GECK, but I can't see how I can set the textures. Any light on this?

Do I have to extract the meshes to get the nif file or something?

You will need to create different nif files for each version of the armour you want. Then you can edit the textures of each one with nifskope. You will need to extract it once then copy it a few times (once for each version).

You can use the GECK to override the textures of meshes for specific armors, this is how most unique vanilla weapons are changed.

In the item description on the right you have 'Male' and 'Female' sections, inside these is 'Biped Model' with an 'Edit' button. Press it.

This will display 'Model Data' which has a rather large Alternate Textures section. By double clicking inside the 'New Texture' box you can choose any texture that has been assigned a Texture Set. Basically assign all parts of the armour that do not start with 'Meat' to your new texture.

You can use the GECK to override the textures of meshes for specific armors, this is how most unique vanilla weapons are changed.

In the item description on the right you have 'Male' and 'Female' sections, inside these is 'Biped Model' with an 'Edit' button. Press it.

This will display 'Model Data' which has a rather large Alternate Textures section. By double clicking inside the 'New Texture' box you can choose any texture that has been assigned a Texture Set. Basically assign all parts of the armour that do not start with 'Meat' to your new texture.

So these textures are just randomly thrown into the game? Thats awesome. Can't believe I didn't find something like that!

To expand on this, you'll want to change anything/everything that does not have 'meat' or 'cap' in the name...

Also, to add your own textures, you'll need a diffuse and a normal map. Or, if you're changing a texture on an item that already has a few variants (Power Armor, Medic/Surgeon's clothes, etc.), and you're happy with the original texture's normal map, just a new diffuse.

Further down the list on the Left (for me, anyways) is TextureSets... If possible, pick an TextureSet that you're replacing and [Edit] it. Change the name to what you'll prefer and highlight the top line on the list (diffuse). Click the edit button below and search out your new texture in the folders. If you have a new normal map, follow suit with the second line's file. Click [Ok], and [Yes] to create a new FormID.

Then it's back to your Armor/Weapon to set the model to the new texture as Dragarr explained above.

Note: Weapons have two models... The regular 'Weapon' model, and the '1stPerson' model. You'll have to update BOTH to have changes be see both when armed with the weapon and when it's laying on the ground in the worldspace.

Note: Weapons have two models... The regular 'Weapon' model, and the '1stPerson' model. You'll have to update BOTH to have changes be see both when armed with the weapon and when it's laying on the ground in the worldspace.

It is worth noting that you only need to use '1st person model object' if you have made both a low quality and high quality texture for the weapon.

Most weapon mods I have seen have only supplied one high quality texture, you can set the first person to 'NONE' and the game will use the base texture for everything.

Which is good for people who are using a custom mesh with only one texture because then you can set the texture path in NifScope and will not need to create any Texture Sets inside GECK at all.

It is worth noting that you only need to use '1st person model object' if you have made both a low quality and high quality texture for the weapon.

Most weapon mods I have seen have only supplied one high quality texture, you can set the first person to 'NONE' and the game will use the base texture for everything.

Which is good for people who are using a custom mesh with only one texture because then you can set the texture path in NifScope and will not need to create any Texture Sets inside GECK at all.

Wrote out a full reply to this... and then thought better and tested myself.

Well, goes to show you CAN learn something new everyday. That single change can simplify my modding by a good hour+ (both with GECK and post-process FO3Edit implementation)... Honestly, I was afraid to see what would happin in 1stPerson if [None] was selected... heheheh.

In general, I only make 1stPerson retextures, they have more detail, and can handle subtle changes better. the added bother of creating low-res textures for world models never really makes sense, as I'm generally updating textures for weapons that should have looked GOOD to begin with. (released works listed below, with many thanks and much appreciation to the authors that agreed to be included)

Again, thanks for the correction and streamlining of what I was originally taught, and always figured was, the only method.

This will display 'Model Data' which has a rather large Alternate Textures section. By double clicking inside the 'New Texture' box you can choose any texture that has been assigned a Texture Set.

Also, to add your own textures, you'll need a diffuse and a normal map. Or, if you're changing a texture on an item that already has a few variants (Power Armor, Medic/Surgeon's clothes, etc.), and you're happy with the original texture's normal map, just a new diffuse.

I can't quite figure out where I can actually assign my own texture. I mean, I go edit the Biped Model and choose "new texture" and are given a list I can choose from. But my textures aren't there, naturally. And there's no button or option in that dialog window. Only given the oppurtunity to choose from existing ones.

My textures are in the form of dsa files which has all channels in the same dsa file, as all texture files are. I have just downloaded a custom texture set and created other versions of that one. I've layed out the textures in the same folder as where the original Chinese stealth armor are, giving each texture a "_red.dsa", "_blue.dsa", "green.dsa" etc etc change in filename. Should these just magically appear in the list?

Archived