DDS & NIF Files

Palimpsests

I've seen that you need two of four types of file, one - the basis is the NIF files, and the other can be either one of three - a TGA file, a BMP file or a DDS file. As I can make BMP files and TGA files already, I DO need a programme that will allow me to create NIF files at least, I would also like to be able to create DDS files.

The next criterion is cost. I DO NOT have thousands (£s or $s) to spend, so what I want is a reasonably priced programme. It appears that the only programme able to do (at least part) of what I want is 3D Studio Max - and that is in the order of $5000!

Basically it's the old story, if I'm making a Morrwind plugin, then I really would like to be able to create the meshes and textures myself. I'm not too keen on the BMP texture file, they're a bit "grainy", for the TGA files, I use files imported into a Serif PhotoPlus 9 programme, do the alterations, and export them as TGA files!

In other words, if I want to make a plugin, I know that I will infringe copyright if I go ahead and use sosmthing without an authour's permission, so would really like to set up my own system.

Can anyone help?

Well, if you don't have the money, you don't get to make your own models for Morrowind. 3dsmax is the only program that has the .nif export plugin you need, so you either buy that or give up on modeling.

I've seen posts referring to other programs being able to create UTEXTURED .NIFs

http://mwsource.com/forum/style_images/mp-blue%5B1%5D/p_up.gif  Dreighton:

I need help from someone with 3D Studio Max, I think...

No, the only thing you need is the loving that only a walrus, a week-old stick of butter, and an old sock can provide. A two-dimensional square mesh is already avaliable, and it's used in in_om_floor_512, I believe. All you need to do is create textures and use NIFTexture to finish the act.

and if MB had posted a link to NIFTexture, then you'd be set. It might be hosted here, too, but I was lazy and used Google.

• 2 weeks later...
you can dowload a program called "G-max" i got it and you cant put the files into morrowind, but you can send them to someone with 3DSmax. they'll convert it to morrowind freindly and make a mod for you

Archived