Mod array that booted up, suddenly doesn't

Madrigrrl

Hi all.

My game was bugging out, so I reformatted my drive, then reinstalled the game and all mods to ensure a fresh start. Then started activating mods one at a time to discover potential bad actors among them, and encountered a familiar conundrum: mod list A takes me to game load screen fine, so I exit, load one more mod and try again. Suddenly it crashes before load screen. So I erase the problem mod, but now my original mod list A won't make it to game screen either.

How can this be when it's the very same list I had before? My quest for sanity just wants some reasonable explanation for this, if anyone has such a thing. Total noob here, in case you didn't know.

Many thanks!

Do you use a mod manager? Depending on how you have installed your mods, "erasing" one might leave some files in the game directories.

I once had an issue when the game all of a sudden refused to launch without anything being changed. I had to re-create the ini files (delete the old ones, open the launcher) for whatever reason, then it launched again.

I use Mod Organizer, yes. "Erased" was a bad choice of words: I merely deactivated it on the left panel of MO. But I'll look into the ini thing for sure. Thanks for that. And sorry for the delay: I didn't realize I had to hit refresh in order to see replies.

I might also clarify that after this new install I haven't even tried to boot the game up beyond the main load screen, so there may be further crash points to come. But it means that, for now, there are no save files or save issues to deal with.