Automatic door in GECK

grandpauj1

I would like to know how to get the "Automatic door" feature to work in the GECK. I did a search and came up blank. There is a box for it in the edit window, But can't figure out how to make it work. Here is the issue, In my vault I put in a Galley area, When the door is open on the lower floor it sticks thru the opening for the upper floor. I know there has to be another way to fix it, I just went to 108 and seen the same setup there (Not auto doors,But one on top of another photos below) I just think the auto door thing is kinda kool.

As always thanks in advance.

Place this script on a door to automatically close and re-lock it after a time period. This script uses a 10 second timer.

ScriptName UCDoorScript

Float Timer

Begin OnLoad                        ; if the player left the door open the last time he was in here, close it.
    If GetOpenState == 1
        SetOpenState 0
        If GetLockLevel > 0
            Lock
        EndIf
    EndIf
End

Begin OnActivate                    

Set Timer to 10            
    Activate

End

Begin GameMode

If Timer > 0
        Set Timer to Timer - GetSecondsPassed
    ElseIf GetOpenState == 1
        SetOpenState 0
        Set Timer to 0
        If GetLockLevel > 0
            Lock
        EndIf
    EndIf

If GetOpenState == 3
        Set Timer to 0
    EndIf
End

Holy $#!t and WOW all at the same time! I just thought there was a box to check or somthing. Ok so.... Like between "Float Timer and Begin OnLoad" there is is a blank line, I will assume that has to be there. In between "begin OnLoad" and "; if the player......" there is a number of space's (About 26 I figure) is that number critical? Like if I count 26 and it's realy 25 will that screw things up? The lines below that (Begin OnLoad) are 4,8,8,12,8,4 spaces, And below "Begin GameMode" They are 4,8,4,8,8,8,12,8,4. I'm sure you are not doing that to make it look cool, because it kinda does, I am going to try this because I love to learn how stuff works, BUT from now on I will be a little cautious about where I place my doors. Also can a line like say "Begin GameMode" be "begin gamemode" Thanks for all the help You are awesome. ;-)

Holy $#!t and WOW all at the same time! I just thought there was a box to check or somthing. Ok so.... Like between "Float Timer and Begin OnLoad" there is is a blank line, I will assume that has to be there. In between "begin OnLoad" and "; if the player......" there is a number of space's (About 26 I figure) is that number critical? Like if I count 26 and it's realy 25 will that screw things up? The lines below that (Begin OnLoad) are 4,8,8,12,8,4 spaces, And below "Begin GameMode" They are 4,8,4,8,8,8,12,8,4. I'm sure you are not doing that to make it look cool, because it kinda does, I am going to try this because I love to learn how stuff works, BUT from now on I will be a little cautious about where I place my doors. Also can a line like say "Begin GameMode" be "begin gamemode" Thanks for all the help You are awesome. ;-)

The spaces between the lines of code are just to make the code easier for humans to read, so it's not really important to the scripting engine. Also "Begin GameMode" and "begin gamemode" are exactly the same thing, as (unfortunately), the scripting engine doesn't care about case sensitivity (I have been known to be a little bit lazy in that regard).

Keep on learning and trying new things. The scripting in engine in Fallout 3 is flexible as hell.

@CountFuzzball, thanks. I'm sure you guessed this already, But I know nothing about scripting. I have been taught all my life to write/type like this, NotThisSoItIsHardToNotUseSpaces/AndSoManyCaps. Damn that was hard!! I can also see the reasoning to the caps to break up the string of words without breaking up the string. I will keep learnig as long as there are people (like you, pkleiss and others) who are willing to help. Some of the time I will download a mod and see something I think is kool, Then open it in the GECK and try to dissect it best I can to try to pick up little bits here and there instead of posting it first. the Automatic door thing I seen in a New Vegas mod, "The under water home" by T4K, Super kool mod, But didn't know if it would be the same as FO3. Again ThanksForTheHelp LMFAO!!!

@ Pixelhate I went to link you posted, Seems very informative BUT...... Again i have been stumped. I am trying to do it step by step so as not to screw it up. on the 2nd page (I printed it out) It says

"As I mentioned before, the function that we're going to use in this script is ShowMessage. However, this function works by displaying information contained within a message form, so we need to create this message form first. This message form should have the Message Box checkbox unticked, and should have "Hello World!" written in the Message Text box. Let's give it the ID "MyMessage". I can not find the "Message Box checkbox ". I guess it has to be there some place, I just can't find it (and I did look). Any help? Thanks :~I

The ways used to explain things might be disconcerting at first. Use it for a global understanding while other tutorials are more result oriented.
With Beth' function pages and the useful scripts page It's already a good start.

The answer of your question is here :

Feel free to contact me via Pm for more extended exchanges. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Got it working. Thanks a ton to all of you. Just for the thrill of adventure I tried it on a "BathroomStallDoor01" And it worked fine. Still kida lost on the whole Scripting vocabulary thing, But I'm sure thats why most people go to school to learn about it.

Next part to the Auto Door saga. I also have a few doors that are locked with a terminal, Say I wanted to have them "Re-lock" after a minute or two, For that matter any terminal. Or if I could have the player Re-lock it manually when they are done with terminal or in the locked room. I am also trying to get the Overseer's desk to open, But I'm trying to get that one by picking apart the one in "101". Not sure if it is giong to work but for now I will keep trying tell I get it or get so pissed off...... I ask for your help. Thanks again :o)