Activator has no text / can't be selected in game

Hey all! I'm brand new to this and may have bitten off more than I can chew with my first creation. Any help would be appreciated, especially since this part should be one of the easier things I'm trying to do.
I have been making activators out of light sources so that I can toggle them on/off using a script.
The script (borrowed from DarkFox127's video here) works brilliantly, and I have chandeliers working no problem. When I try to get wall sconces working the same way, though, no activation prompt appears to click.

I've attached pictures of the activator setup as well as the issue in game for troubleshooting.
Here's what I've been able to confirm so far:
- The individual instances of the on/off/xmarker all have names.
- The script is attached to the activator and the individual instances.
- The script attached to those instances references the instance names correctly - this can be proven by swapping the sconce base to a chandelier base and having those fire as normal.
- The sconce activator is named.
- The action text is added in the activator.
I've tried recreating the activators from scratch, and copying the working activators (just changing the model), but no dice. I even added a time bit of rotation to each, as I read somewhere that the game will not show activators at perfect angles.
What else could keep the prompt from showing?

Thanks again for any advice.

Working Chandelier:

Working-Activator.png

Working-Chandelier.png

Failing Sconce:
Failing-Activator.png
Failing-Sconce.png

Have you checked the player activation box on the reference? And yes, the z axis for the reference needs to be not absolute. As habit I always add 1% to all of the rotations.

Neither the working reference nor the non-working reference appear to have that option.

Searching "player activation box" tells me it should be on the Primitives tab (which neither have), and I've not found a similar option in the tabs available.

Am I missing it somewhere here?

non-working-reference.png

No. Youre not. My mistake. The primitives tab is for, yep, primitives. Youve made a straight up activator out of a model.

I cant be sure but my guess is there is an issue with the model. Got any other models of light sources you can test with?

I gave up, in general, making activators out of models. I much prefer, when possible, using a static object for display and wrapping a primitive activator around it. For the reasons you are experiencing. Perhaps this is possible for your sconce with a script that enables the lit version and disables the unlit? And visa versa? I tend to use two triggerboxes that enable and disable each other. One named light, the other put out. Search darkfoxs tutorial on fireplaces for more info on this approach.

Sorry cant be more helpful. The way Ive described absolutely works, but may be a bit more work than you would have liked.

I spent 8 hours on bookshelves over the weekend. A little more work isn't the end of the world. :smile:

I'll try creating a trigger box after work. Thanks.

Have you tried going to activators, duplicating one, then going to the items you want, copying the path to that model and then pasting it in the new activator?

That's what I've done to numerous items that I wanted to be an activator.. I have a stone head, a skull, a lute, etc.

I didn't read the entire post (i don't have too much time available, I've to leave in 5m), but your issue appears to be 'Collision', the position in where you have placed your activator is been obscure by the wall's collision.

Walls have their collision not exactly where the mesh stops, but a little bit further to avoid the player's camera from clipping outside the wall when the player is too close to the wall.

Place something like a brick foe example, and then place your activator on top of the brick so that your activator is beyond the wall's collision.

Edited by maxarturo

Yeah.... it's one of those things that can get you crazy even if you are the most experienced modder outhere.

It has happened to me with a simple 'button' script, I had like a billion complicated things scripted in 1 cell and all was working flawlessly!!!!!, but then out of nowhere a little... a tiny simple little button that you had to press to enter the 'puzzle room' wasn't working and it was driving crazy!!!!!

I felt so.... SO STUPID when I realized what the problem was.....

Edited by maxarturo