skse_loader.exe disappeared ?

Bindiman

If someone could report this to the Avast team, that would be much appreciated. I'll obviously do it myself as well.

I sent them a nicely detailed report of the file's history and intended use, along with a copy of it for reference. Hopefully this gets resolved, but adding it as an exception does seem to be a fix.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So anyway in the end i did all possible checks with other programs, getting the same result as everyone else, it's just Avast being mean, or punishing me for having played too much Skyrim.

Until there's a workaround what i did was just disable for a second avast to download skse and then made the whole steam folder in avast exceptions.

Just an FYI, As a longtime avast user, I was not happy with this skse/false positive (imho). I switched to kaspersky, and after detailed scan I dl'd and reinstalled, no problems or notifications so far. Skyrim and skse is back without any difficulties and no "virus".

Ari

P.S. Kaspesrky finally added a gaming mode so performance isn't too shabby.

If you want exclude SKSE only, and not the whole Skyrim folder, you have to add the exclusion to both the general antivirus AND the system file shield:

Just go to your chest (in the latest avast, you go to "scan" and select "quarantine (virus chest)") Search for the file, left click and choose "restore and add to exclusions". After that, copy the exclusion path from the antivirus settings to the system file shield list of exclusions, and it should work.

Add another Avast! user to the skse_loader.exe issue. When I witnessed the loader executable being removed immediately after copying I knew right-off what the issue was. After fixing Avast! I searched and found this thread. Avast! has been notified. Let's hope they fix the issue in a timely manner so my Skyrim folder can be removed from the exclusions list.

Same thing here, I sent a message to Avast but don't expect any answer. Apparently, today's Avast update erased ALL my exclusion config, including NMM, Skyrim, Steam, etc. I doubt that Skse has suddenly become a virus, chances are Avast simply changed your earlier config too. Incidentally, a similar thing happened with some Windows security update a couple of days ago which completely messed up my parameters.

Luckily, I had kept an unzipped version of SKSE in some other folder which AVAST missed because there's apparently to way to unquarantine a file. I'm trying to reinstall it, see how this work.

Have you guys managed to bypass Avast automatically deleting skse.exe?

This happened to me as well today and I was just playing Skyrim yesterday. Hell I haven't updated my Avast in months.

what the f*** man?

Additionally, I tried restoring it from the Virus Chest and then marking it as an exception under the File System Shield > Settings > skse_loader.exe

But that doesn't seem to work, it deleted my installer and keeps placing it in the virus chest when I try to run the game form the SKSE loader.

Edited by Kyerea

@Hoamaii:

Which version of Avast! are you using? I'm using Avast! 2013 Internet Security registered.

In the version I have, the simplest way is to:

- Open Avast!

- Click on Settings in the upper, right-hand corner

- Click on Global Exclusions

- Click the Browse button

- Navigate to \Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim

- Click the OK button

- Click the OK button to close Avast! window

- Copy SKSE back into the \Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim folder

Once Avast! has updated their definitions to exclude skse_loader.exe then I'll post here unless another member beats me to it.

Additionally, sdl.dll is also affected by Avast! false positive. Excluding the entire Steam folder would temporarily fix this until Avast! updates their definition table.

Added my Skyrim folder to exceptions, then briefly turned down antivirus, so that I could download skse and place it in skyrim folder. Then turned on antivirus again - and everything worked fine, I could play. Still, I hope the issue is solved in Avast.