skse_loader.exe disappeared ?

Bindiman

Glad I found this thread. First my desktop shortcut disappeared alongside the launcher, then when I tried to download it, all browsers were like "Network Error". No Avast pop-ups or anything so I had no idea what was going on.

My solution for the latest Avast 2014:

- (Optional) Temporarily disable Web Shield to re-download SKSE (Avast - Settings - Active Protection - Web Shield)
- Go to Avast - Settings - Active Protection - File System Shield - Settings (gear icon) - Exclusions

- Click Add

- Write:

*\skse_loader.exe

- Click OK
- Done. Avast won't remove any SKSE related stuff, be it installer or launcher

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ AceGooder, I believe I'm running the latest version of Avast - yeah, I reconfigured all my exclusions ok, thanks and included momentarily the complete Skyrim folder. I found the quarantine folder but no option to restore on my machine...

I haven't noticed the sdl.dll issue but I can't seem to find that .ddl either, where should that one be? In the TESV.exe directory?

Guys, after recently experiencing the same problem. I did as was instructed on the exclusion thing, but noticed that every other file that was already in that list had "*\" before each file name. I tried that as well with skse and typed "*\skse_loader.exe" and that pretty much ignored the file anywhere. Not just in th skyrim directory.

Glad I found this thread. First my desktop shortcut disappeared alongside the launcher, then when I tried to download it, all browsers were like "Network Error". No Avast pop-ups or anything so I had no idea what was going on.

My solution for the latest Avast 2014:

- (Optional) Temporarily disable Web Shield to re-download SKSE (Avast - Settings - Active Protection - Web Shield)

- Go to Avast - Settings - Active Protection - File System Shield - Settings (gear icon) - Exclusions

- Click Add

- Write:

*\skse_loader.exe

- Click OK

- Done. Avast won't remove any SKSE related stuff, be it installer or launcher

Going to try this, thanks man. Didn't realize I'd have to re-install SKSE? It's just the loader.exe that it flagged last i checked. I even restored it from the virus chest.

Here's how I fixed the problem. First, open Avast and click on settings, go to Antivirus, then scroll down to exclusions. Click on the URLs tab and add http://skse.silverlock.org/ to the exclusions. Then on the left click on the "Active Protection" tab and temporarily turn "File System Shield" off. Go to http://skse.silverlock.org/ to download SKSE and run the loader. Once this is complete, go back to the exclusions tab and add the skse_loader.exe file path to the "File paths" tab (mine is D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\skse_loader.exe). After this you can turn the "File System Shield" back on and run SKSE.

sdl.dll should be in \Steam and in \Steam\bin.

Refrain from downloading sdl.dll from a third-party website. 95% of the time the file will contain additional unwanted baggage that could harm your computer. Let Steam replace the file automatically as it has done for me.

@ AceGooder, I believe I'm running the latest version of Avast - yeah, I reconfigured all my exclusions ok, thanks and included momentarily the complete Skyrim folder. I found the quarantine folder but no option to restore on my machine...

I haven't noticed the sdl.dll issue but I can't seem to find that .ddl either, where should that one be? In the TESV.exe directory?

God, I've used Avast for a long time but I'm really starting to hate it for s#*! like this.

It doesn't quarantine the files or anything like that either, it just deletes them automatically and says "no further action is required". It also doesn't offer any information as to why skse is detected as a virus. There's not even an option to whitelist it.

This pisses me off even more because I know for a fact that Avast recently let a script plant a trojan / adware on my computer. It can't block actual malware, but it blocks SKSE? Great. Just what I needed.

@ThePirateKing Additionally, some of the exclusions fixes aren't working for users in here. So you could easily argue that avast! atm is acting like malware.

I am running Avast 2013, and I was able to fix the issue like this:

1. Under Security > Antivirus, temporarily disable the file system shield and web shield.

2. Add the exclusion "*\skse_loader.exe" to the file system shield by clicking "Settings > Exclusions" in the file system shield tab. Make sure all three fields are checked for skse (R, W, and X).

3. Download skse from skse.silverlock.org. Install it in your Skyrim directory like normal.

4. You can now reenable web shield and file system shield. skse should work fine.

That worked for me at least. If it doesn't work for others, I am truly sorry. Try to alleviate your boredom by spamming the f*#@ out of avast's false positive report.