Gravity and Stairs, Ledges and Drops

descendant_7

The way the PC is affected by gravity has always seemed a bit sloppy to me, and this is something that has bothered me since Oblivion. When you are running full-boar, and reach a staircase or abrupt change in slope, the PC tends to float off the edge, resulting in a rather clumsy-feeling descent. Especially where stairs are concerned, I feel like I'm playing Mario Bros. or something the way the PC just skips a few steps and then bounces off the next. Call me compulsive, but I've actually taken to walking down stairs sometimes...yeah I know, it's totally mental of me.

I suppose gravity is something that also affects every other object in the game simultaneously, which would obviously make it tough to do, but I'm just scraping the surface of this modding business, and with how technical it's looking, I'm thinking it will be at least a decade before I can either do this myself, or discover that it's impossible to accomplish. So having said that, I have pretty much no idea whatsoever would be involved in making the gravity more like a regular FPS where the PC has more weight and sticks to stairs like a real person would instead of leaping halfway down the flight and ricocheting off walls on the way. It seems to me it probably has a lot to do with the physics engine, in which case it might not be possible to change (?), but seeing how some of these mods can alter speed and even improve the running animations, would I be totally off-track in wondering whether someone with a lot more talent and expertise could pull it off?

Archived