Swine Flu

caramo_w007

Anyway, it seems that a few cases have been confirmed in Ontario. Rather too close for comfort...

It's happened before in places outside of USA where I hail from.

Because I've heard there were, I dunno how many students were killed, but quite a few in one of the High Schools in New York.

Nobody has died of swine flu in New York. There has only been one death from swine flu in the entire country: a Mexican toddler in Texas. Many of the people who are confirmed to have been infected with swine flu have already recovered; virtually none have even needed to be hospitalized. If there's someone out there telling you that swine flu is killing schoolchildren en masse, it's your duty as an American citizen to tell him he's an idiot.

Well there has been 6 more confirmed cases in NZ and 200 people are now in quarentine. We are at the top end of yellow alert,

I have done a bit of research and you need to wash hands on a regular basis, keep away from sneezing people. cause the other way to catch it is airborne through the eye membrane. It is harder to get through the respiratory system.

(Hope no one minds me adding this here as well)

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_fl...ated_deaths.htm

According to this article, over 36000 people die per year in the U.S alone of common flu viruses.

http://www.infopirate.org/bm_mexico-raises...-death-toll-149

These short tidbits of info tell that as of Monday, 149 people in Mexico alone have died from the HIN 1

flu virus.

If the virus started spreading a week ago...

52 x 149 = 7748 approximate deaths would occur in Mexico were the HIN 1 virus to last a whole year.

Compared to the population of the U.S...

300,000,000 = Approximate pop. of the U.S

100,000,000 = Approx. pop. of Mexico

36,000 = Average flu cases per year in the U.S

x = Average flu cases per year in Mexico.

300,000,000 X 100,000,000

36,000 _________ x

300,000,000x = 3600000000000

X = 12,000 cases of normal flu deaths in Mexico per year on average

So for every 3000 cases of everyday flu virus diagnoses, there will be approximately 1937 HIN 1 diagnoses.

I realize that the virus is more virulent than the typical flu viruses, so my information may not be accurate. But this is my conclusion, that we possibly may be overreacting. Just wash your hands constantly, consume enough vitamin C, and stay away from people who are coughing.

If there's someone out there telling you that swine flu is killing schoolchildren en masse, it's your duty as an American citizen to tell him he's an idiot.

I'll be more than glad to say it to one person who thinks "The news is the truth no matter what".

Shademaster21 that is

• 2 weeks later...
I realize that the virus is more virulent than the typical flu viruses, so my information may not be accurate. But this is my conclusion, that we possibly may be overreacting. Just wash your hands constantly, consume enough vitamin C, and stay away from people who are coughing.

That's exactly what it is, a massive overreaction. To may people running around like headless chickens for a flu virus... jeese. If your healthy and you catch it you'll be sick for a few days to a week or two, and then you'll be fine.

Scientists from the California Research Center (CRC) have confirmed testing that Swine Flu, a recently emerging respiratory virus, is in fact deadly and transmittable. "This is the next pandemic, period," Scott Helmway, the research teams leader, has publicly declared. "We're estimating deaths in the billions, and that's just the beginning."

So you're saying a "The Stand" scenario?

Cool! :thumbsup:

This flu virus isn't even as bad as some of them out there... what has people scared (other than media hype) is that it is a new virus, so most humans don't have immunity to it yet (that we know of). When people talk about deaths from the flu, they fail to mention that flu deaths are always the result of a compromised immune system from some other source, and the flu just complicated what was already going on. But hey... at least pharmaceutical companies can make money off of the fears of those who would rather listen to the "news" than do some actual research into the subject.

Here's a pretty good article on the virulence of this virus: http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-...0,3606923.story

Just like with ANY source of information, it shouldn't be taken as truth in and of itself, but it is a good starting point for further research into the subject.

Personally I would like to get this virus while I'm (relatively) young and healthy so that I can get a permanent immunity to it. Better now than when I'm old and feeble, or if I were to have a serious disease that compromises my immune system.

• 3 weeks later...
...this new strain of Influenza has me scared shitless.

You shouldn't be. As far as world-ending pandemics go, this is nothing. With summer on the way, the virus's spread will be limited. By fall, when infections would have the potential to pick up again, the disease control people will have had time to make whatever preparations are needed (vaccination campaigns, building stockpiles of antiviral medications, &c.). Not that they even need it, given that many places still have in place preparations made for the last big flu scare. (Do people even remember avian flu?)

With air travel, geography is meaningless. It can hit anywhere there is an airport.

Except Madagascar. That place is freaking untouchable.

Yeah i remember avian flu, it's still out there, waiting to get us. Basically after the worlds population has been halved, Bird Flu will come out of hiding and kill the rest. I joke i joke, but bird flu is still out there, but noone has caught it yet.

Just wash your hands constantly, consume enough vitamin C, and stay away from people who are coughing.
Wait, what?

People paying attention to common sense?!

UNHEARD OF!

/sarcasm

I have the flu at the moment. Not H1N1, but IT'S ALMOST THE SAME NONETHELESS. Christ. The media hype is just making it seem worse when in theory, it's really not.

It's been in Australia for a while now.

Deaths?

NONE.

Why?

Because it seems to be commonplace for people here to do the right thing. Stay at home when they're sick. Cover their mouths and noses when they cough and sneeze. Wash their hands after doing almost anything, or at the very least use an alcohol-based sanitiser. Stock up on and consume foods high in vitamin C.

I only got the flu because someone else in my household got it, and he got it from some old lady who couldn't bring out her handkerchief in time.

Common sense, people. Use it.