Swine Flu

caramo_w007

Swine flu is another so-called epidemic that is blown way out of proportion. This type of flu is treatable with current medications, which makes it not really any more lethal than any other strain of flu. I guess you could say better safe than sorry when it comes to new disease/virus outbreaks. Now if it was a virus like Ebola that got out of control, it would be some serious business.

The swine flu isn't the "big hot topic" as it was some weeks ago, but doctors etc are already starting to find a way how to treat it. a person in Russia that had swine flu is already healthy. A second person from Russia is already getting better.

I'm not participating in this whole debate, but this new strain of Influenza has me scared shitless. Sorry for harsh words, but I am. Especially since the disease has been found in Texas and Kansas. There's a huge gap there, completely avoiding Oklahoma (That's where I live).

I just dont want to be one of the people cursed with this new bacteria, since I have nothing for health insurance.

GO OKLAHOMA (from minnestoa, but currently visiting my g-parents)

anyways ya'll, you guys are too scared. I never worry about it, and hav ei gotten swine flu and died? no. This is just a way for the media to get more publicity. Yes its a seriouse thing. No its not as bad as they say. I myself have had the flu twice (one time i almost went to urgent care, but i was better the next morning) and i undwerstand the fear, but NOT the panic. Might as well kill yourself if your so scared... :verymad:

sorry for ranting :wallbash:

Governments and medical people are worried for good reason but that doesn't mean panic is good, far from it.

End of World War One flu epidemic spread to many parts of the world. Millions of people died. More people than were killed by the war.

Official estimates I have seen are anywhere between twenty million to fifty million but tend to go towards the higher end figure.

I have seen old photos of cheap coffins piled up high, of mass graves, of big tent filled camps. The flu smashed up more lives than did World War One.

Remember the world was less effective with world transport then (flu took longer to spread) and population was much smaller. In contrast now jets can carry flu around the world very quickly and efficiently. Also our much bigger population is in many ways more vulnerable and harder to protect.

Big fear is mutation, that virus will become immune to any medical treatments, leaping ahead of any developments. Other fears are the vast number of people around the world with weakened immune systems (starvation, HIV (AIDS), filthy living environments and other reasons). Better to be over cautious than experience a real pandemic. Given the right conditions such a pandemic might kill hundreds of millions of people.

Better safe than experiencing that sort of horror.

• 3 weeks later...
War is worse than a simple killer flu. If a world war will start again, there's a chance of nuclear being used. But it is said Swine Flu can spread from one human to another. But if nuclear war will start, I think some of us going to play Fallout 4 on real life. Some may rest in peace.

Well, swine flu has now reached me. Apparently there are four people here with it. Personally, I'm not too worried, it's better to get it now when it's easy to get NHS treatment than in 6 months when everyone needs it. As far as I know, it's not as life threatening as it was, but it's still quite contagious.

Besides, it can't happen to me... right?

I do find this topic hilarious.

I had swine flu. Got over it. Tamiflu is your friend. Boyfriend had it, too. Also go over it.

It's really not that bad. You see talk on the media about people dying. But do you know WHY these people are dying from it?

Pre-existing health conditions that make them more susceptible to it, and age.

I'm not exactly healthy (Coca Cola is <3), and I managed to get over it. I stayed home for a month. I ate and drank the right food. I kept myself clean. I rested. I took the proper medication. Now I'm completely fine. I have no pre-existing health conditions that could interfere.

Australia itself has had swine flu come through and our national (as in, the ENTIRE country) death toll hasn't even hit 30 yet (last time I looked, anyway).

The people that DID die from it had weak immune systems, or were very elderly, or newborn.

Go figure.