Getting ready to Start Morrowwind, need Mod Advice

gamerprox

I would love your input on what mods to pick up for the game for a full play through, that way I don't make any mistakes or miss something. Yeah, I want the game to look beautiful, land, people and such, but also fix any bugs left over, and what have you from the past. Got an install order I can follow?

I've recently started a new game myself, so I'll let you know some of what I'm using.

If you've got the hardware to handle it (and these days most people do) start out by installing the Graphics Sound Overhaul It really makes Morrowind into a beautiful game. (This is a compilation of other mods, by the way, so if you install it be sure to check it's contents and credits before adding other graphic mods. You might just find that the others are already included in MGSO.)

Next, grab all of the Less Generic NPC mods. These add a lot of depth to the conversations you have with NPCs, and in some cases also add new quests. If you have any interest in joining House Redoran (the "warrior" faction in Morrowind) then the LGNPC Redoran mods are an absolute must in my opinion.

If you'd like a little more realism and want sleep and food to be meaningful (and required!) then Necessities of Morrowind is a great addition. It provides usable bedrolls, interesting foods that you can buy or cook yourself, portable campfires and grills, a restaurant, tisanes and juices that have potion-like effects, and drunkeness effects that can be really funny at times.

One companion mod that I recommend is Julan, Ashlander Companion. He's not just a dumb NPC who carries stuff for you. Rather he has a really strong and compelling story of his own that I think adds a lot of flavor to the game as you play the main quest.

The Delayed Dark Brotherhood Attack mod is a good addition if you are starting a new game and have Tribunal installed. Instead of instantly suffering a series of attacks by assasins, you won't be attacked until your character has actually had time to level up and gain a reputation in the world that would draw the attention of the people behind the attacks.

abot's Take My Place is a very useful and practical addition that just lets you swap places with someone else. This is very handy in crowded places like taverns where it can be difficult to move around. (All of abot's mods are excellent, by the way. I use most of them in my game.)

Finally, I'll toot my own horn. Tonight I uploaded my own very first mod. It's a rentable apartment in Balmora. Nothing fancy - just a small place suitable for beginning characters. There are lots of other house mods already, of course, but I'm rather pleased with it and would love it if someone else gave it a try.

For other mod recommendations, try perusing the top lists here and at Planet Elder Scrolls. There's a lot of really amazing work out there.

Enjoy the game!

If you decide to use MGSO, I suggest you read the first post in this thread to be aware of known issues. A couple small mods I think everyone should have: Skar Platforms, Shrines 0 Gold Fix, Balmora Fighter's Guild Entrance Fix.

Oooh! Thanks for that link. I've encountered a couple of those problems and worked around them already, but my current real game is still fairly new, so I've not run into most of those issues yet and I can get them corrected before they become a problem.