FYI: Sound Formats for Fallout 3

WorldSpace Music

MP3-Stereo (as far as i know any variable bitrate will do, but i've only seen 128-224)

Sound FX

PCM .Wav- 16-bit 44.1 Khz Monoaural

Radio Music

Dialog

PCM .Wav- 16-bit 44.1 Khz Stereo

• 2 months later...
Radio Music

It seems that .ogg files also can fill in for radio extensions as evidenced by Trynfkwtme's mod for Moriarty's. (file info: Nominal bitrate: 96 kbps Max bitrate: 96 kbps Channels: 1 Sampling rate: 44100 Hz )

Also, it seemed kind of strange to me that, the game uses .ogg for the default dialogue, but if you add custom dialogue, it expects .wav... how come?

The .wav statements might be a holdover from Oblivion. I see several references to items that are available in Oblivion but not Fallout 3, such as horses and sounds of magic casting.

I use .ogg and .lip files for custom voices in FO3 without problems. It requires less memory than the .mp3, .wav, .lip combination that Oblivion used.

I still need to generate .wav files to make .lip files with the TES Construction Set since GECK won't make them, but once the .lip is done I dispense with the .wav. On average, an .ogg files uses much less memory. For instance, one bit of dialogue that I am using has a .wav filesize of 93.3 KB while the .ogg of the exact same dialogue is only 12.2 KB.

Also, it seemed kind of strange to me that, the game uses .ogg for the default dialogue, but if you add custom dialogue, it expects .wav... how come?

The .wav statements might be a holdover from Oblivion. I see several references to items that are available in Oblivion but not Fallout 3, such as horses and sounds of magic casting.

I use .ogg and .lip files for custom voices in FO3 without problems. It requires less memory than the .mp3, .wav, .lip combination that Oblivion used.

I still need to generate .wav files to make .lip files with the TES Construction Set since GECK won't make them, but once the .lip is done I dispense with the .wav. On average, an .ogg files uses much less memory. For instance, one bit of dialogue that I am using has a .wav filesize of 93.3 KB while the .ogg of the exact same dialogue is only 12.2 KB.

Ahh! Good to know. I figured that .ogg was used because of some relation to .lip. Interesting then that you say you actually use .wav to make .lip. I assume you're using the same method from Crow's dialogue tutorial? Or something similiar? Though, I thought he said to use .wav there as well, but I could be mistaken, been a while since I read that tut.

I put a few sample lines in-game as .wav using the GECK to generate the filepath it expected, and then just substituting that file with my .wav, named appropriately. It worked, but had no .lip. And honestly, I haven't messed with the .lip side of it yet, cause my topics and such aren't even finalized yet, much less recorded.

But I'll remember what you said about the memory ^^

I may be using the same method as Crow's tutorial, but I can't say because I haven't read it. I just do it the same way I did when making Oblivion mods. Oblivion didn't use .ogg files so that is one difference. And I don't use .wavs for FO3 so there must be a few differences in my approach.

From what I understand, newer versions of the TES Construction Set don't create .lip files either, so you need to get hold of an older version like I have if you want lipsynchs. I have heard that there are no plans to fix the GECK to create them, so that is the only work around that I am aware of at this point. I don't really understand why Bethesda is giving us less functionality than before. I think that maybe they have a license for the lipsynch method that they are currently using for their games that isn't authorized for inclusion in the GECK.

• 2 years later...

Dialog

PCM .Wav- 16-bit 44.1 Khz Stereo

I found that if you use Stereo in Dialog or other sounds.. The talking or sounds do not fade when distant.. I can hear people talking from far away like they are next to me... If I used the same settings as above only with Mono... It fixes the problem..