SKSE Problems?

Reefor

I had some strange problems with SKSE yesterday and posted in one of the Skyrim Facebook pages. I was going to post a question here after exhausting almost everything I knew to try but the problem fixed itself before I got the chance. Today someone on the facebook forum advised me to post here saying that there was some chatter on Twitter about the problem I was having - others were also having the same problem.

If there are other threads discussing this please post me a link so I can find out what's going on with SKSE (I have AE and I'm using MO2)

The Problem:
When I launched the game yesterday I got the "SKSE is not installed - 0.0.0.0" error message with all the other error messages that come with it (this mod and that mod won't work properly because there's no SKSE).

I spent most of the day trying to fix it. The first thing I tried was to reinstall SKSE but it didn't work. I came close to rolling back my Skyrim version thinking that it must be a stealthy Skyrim update but chickened out at the last minute. I moved SKSE to the bottom of the load order and tried everything else I knew to do with my limited knowledge but nothing worked.

Late in the day I was going to post here so I launched the game to get a list of all the error messages and the problem was gone. It seems to have fixed itself.

As long as it's fixed I don't care. But since others also saw the same problem I want to know what happened in case it comes back.

My only guess is Bethesda did a stealthy update then undid the update stealthy. But I have no idea how to check to see if that's what happened.

Anyway, like I said. If there are already threads discussing this can someone please post a link. It's like trying to find a needle in a needlestack.

Also, is there any setting I can use so the game tells me there's an update when it happens and let's me decide when I want to install the updrade?

Edited by Reefor

I just tried to launch the game and didn't even get to the load screen. I got this error message.

You are using a newer version of Skyrim than this version of SKSE64 supports.
If this version just came out, please be patient while we update our code.
In the meantime, please check http://skse.silverlock.org for updates.
Do not email about this!
Runtime: 1.6.629
SKSE64: 2.1.5

I'm guessing that "Runtime" is the current version of Skyrim (1.6.629)
SKSE64 AE says that it supports up to version 1.6.353

I can't seem to find Skyrimse.exe to verify that the current version is 1.6.353

I'm guessing that Steam or Bethesda did an update to 1.6.353 and I now have to wait for the new version of SKSE
Can someone confirm that there was indeed an update in the last 14 hours?

Also, when this happens, is there anyway to stop the game from updating until there is a SKSE update to avoid this downtime?

I'm guessing that Steam or Bethesda did an update to 1.6.353 and I now have to wait for the new version of SKSE

Can confirm. They released a miniscule nothing update, just some UI stuff and access for Japanese and Chinese markets to something or another, but it was enough to change some numbers and make SKSE stop working for the moment.

Can confirm. They released a miniscule nothing update, just some UI stuff and access for Japanese and Chinese markets to something or another, but it was enough to change some numbers and make SKSE stop working for the moment.

Thanks.

Is there a way to delay an update until SKSE comes out with an update? (to prevent this in the future)

Thanks.

Is there a way to delay an update until SKSE comes out with an update? (to prevent this in the future)

If you're on Steam, you can try telling it to only update on launch. As long as you only launch using SKSE, it should in theory never update.

Thanks.

If you're on Steam, you can try telling it to only update on launch. As long as you only launch using SKSE, it should in theory never updaI

If I do it that way and it works, can I later tell it to do the update once SKSE has come out with their update?

If I do it that way and it works, can I later tell it to do the update once SKSE has come out with their update?

Yeah. You can either change the settings long enough to let it update or just launch with the native (non-SKSE) launcher to trigger it. If you do change the settings, just be sure to change them back. I forgot to and now am stuck unable to launch my game till SKSE updates (don't feel like jumping through hoops to downgrade for what is hopefully a minor fix).

Yeah. You can either change the settings long enough to let it update or just launch with the native (non-SKSE) launcher to trigger it. If you do change the settings, just be sure to change them back. I forgot to and now am stuck unable to launch my game till SKSE updates (don't feel like jumping through hoops to downgrade for what is hopefully a minor fix).

Thanks again

A little tip - make a copy of the Skyrim .exe as soon as it updates to help insure against update mistakes. I usually just add the version number (SkyrimSE_1_6_353.exe) to the name. Saves trying to use the Steam download depot to fix an unintended update.

Two ways to stop updates -

set the game to only update on game launch, then when you want to play, start Steam, then start the game via SKSE launcher -and-

set the current appmanifest file (I THINK it is the one in the base steamapps folder) to read only. Look it up, to be sure you are doing it right.

A little tip - make a copy of the Skyrim .exe as soon as it updates to help insure against update mistakes. I usually just add the version number (SkyrimSE_1_6_353.exe) to the name. Saves trying to use the Steam download depot to fix an unintended update.

Two ways to stop updates -

set the game to only update on game launch, then when you want to play, start Steam, then start the game via SKSE launcher -and-

set the current appmanifest file (I THINK it is the one in the base steamapps folder) to read only. Look it up, to be sure you are doing it right.

Thanks but I just went looking for the skyrim.exe file to verify the version number and couldn't find it. Not sure where it went but I even tried to use the search in the windows folders and nothing.

I'm not advanced enough for your second tip, I think I'll try turning on update at launch only, then launching through steam whenever I want to update.