Frequent Random Crashes Outside and Indoors

Wrathcaster

Hi all, first I'd just like to describe my problem.

I'll be walking along in the wastelands, or inside a structure and, seemingly at random, the game will crash. There's no set interval, though it seems to occur between 10 and 40 minutes of play. Recently, I've been around Novac and Repconn, and moving between the two I either get a crash while in transit, or when I get there/enter a building.

I've got autosaves turned off and am using CASM saving at 5 minute intervals.

I've got quite a few mods installed, but until yesterday it was stable. The mods I'm using at present are AWOP, Project Nevada, Nevada Skies, enhanced shaders, Darn HUD, uHUD, Mod Configuration Menu, NVSE, NV4gb, WMX, EVE, Ahztek's Weapon Overhaul, CASE, CaliberX, More Perks, Easy unlocking/picking, the Some guy series (NV Bounties 1 & 2/Russel/Inheritance), the compatibility patches for WMX for the above listed mods, Beyond Boulder Dome, DEIMOS, and NMC large texture pack. I've got all the DLC including gun runner's arsenal.

As far as I can tell, the crashes started occurring yesterday after installing NMC's textures. At first, it was crashing frequently when fast traveling/enter/exiting buildings, and randomly outside. After disabling the autosave function and switching to CASM saves, the crashes entering and exiting buildings/fast travel seemingly stopped.

I had previously used FOMM for everything, and I installed most things through that or manually. NMC was a manual install for me. Extracted the contents into the Data folder as per instructions, and the little "NMC Texture Pack" pic on the main menu is present. However, when the crashes started, I got frustrated and installed NMM. For whatever reason, FOMM kept giving me the prompt upon entering the program that this/that mod had been removed without being installed. I allowed FOMM to uninstall them and reinstalled with the files/archives placed back into the Mod directory for FOMM and NMM.

Then I noticed at main menu the "Mod Configuration Menu" was gone and when I tried to load my save, it told me it relied on content no longer available. I panicked and uninstalled every mod, started from scratch after writing down my load order. Downloaded and installed everything through NMM this time, excluding the texture packs. Still no Mod Configuration menu on the main screen, and still got the error message that save relied on content no longer available. I entered the game anyway, found everything (as far as I could tell) remained the same, and was able to access the Mod Configuration Menu just by pausing.

I played for a while without getting any crashes entering and exiting buildings or fast traveling, but after a while I started getting crashes while just walking around the wasteland or building interiors. Extremely frustrating, and it's inevitable that it'll crash eventually. Really at a loss here. I have a feeling it's NMC but can't be sure. Also, I am using a borderless windowed mode app in the hopes that it'd improve performance and cut down on crashes. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried running in plain fullscreen as well, but results are the same. I haven't yet installed NMC Large Textures via NMM yet, since I pasted all the files from that mod in previously and I have very little HDD space left. I guess I can go about deleting some things on my SSD drive, but I wanted to figure out what's the culprit here before I go about erasing things.

Load Order:

FalloutNV.esm

HonestHearts.esm

DeadMoney.esm

OldWorldBlues.esm

GunRunnersArsenal.esm

domecity.esm

D.E.I.M.O.S..esm

LonesomeRoad.esm

NevadaSkies.esm

More Perks.esm

More Traits.esm

More Perks for Honest Hearts.esm

More Perks for Dead Money.esm

More Perks for Old World Blues.esm

More Perks for Companions.esm

AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm

CASE.esm

Ahzteks Weapon Overhaul.esp

Leveled List Organizer.esm

SomeguySeries.esm

Caliber.esm

CaliberXhonesthearts.esm

GaliberXgunrunners.esm

Project Nevada - Core.esm

Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp

Project Nevada - Equipment.esm

MeleeHotkey.esm

AWOP-AhztekWeaponPatch.esp

AOPCaliberXAmmoPatch.esp

NewVegasBounties.esp

NewVegasBountiesII.esp

Russel.esp

TheInheritance.esp

More Perks Update.esp

More Perks for Companions Update.esp

More Perks for Dead Money Update.esp

More Perks for Honest Hearts Update.esp

More Perks for Old World Blues Update.esp

More Traits Update.esp

SignatureWeapons.esp

AWOPDeadMoney.esp

AWOPDeadMoneyVendorPatch.esp

WeaponModsExpanded.esp

WMX-AWOP.esp

WMX-DeadMoney.esp

WMX-HonestHearts.esp

WMX-OldWorldBlues.esp

WMX-LonesomeRoad.esp

WMX-GunRunnersAresenal.esp

EVE FNV - NO GRA.esp

WMX-EVE-NoGRA.esp

PerkEveryLevel.esp

Easy Unlocking and Easy Hacking and Guaranteed Pick Pocket.esp

CASE-Patch-HH.esp

Leveled List Organizer.esp

LLO-Partial Patch-Ahzteks Weapon Overhaul.esp

LLO-Compatibility Patch-Honest Hearts.esp

LLO-Compatibility patch-Dead Money.esp

LLO-Partial Patch-CASE.esp

CASM.esp

NevadaSkies - Ultimate DLC Edition.esp

NevadaSkies - URLIFIED Interiors.esp

Project Nevada - Old World Blues.esp

Project Nevada - Dead Money.esp

Project Nevada - Honest Hearts.esp

Project Nevada - Lonesome Road.esp

Project Nevada - Gun Runners' Arsenal.esp

Project Nevada -EVE No GRA.esp

Project Nevada - WMX.esp

DarNifiedUINV.esp

The Mod Configuration Menu.esp

System Specs:

Windows 7 Premium 64 bit

i5 2500

EVGA Gefore 560ti Fermi

ASRock Mobo

16gb RAM

Plextor 120 gb SSD

Running Resolution @ 1680x1050 aspect ratio 16:10

Would really appreciate any help here.

Edited by Wrathcaster

Update:

Before anyone suggests, I have changed the settings in the .ini file for the 2 core limitation. I've downloaded the NVEC bugfixes/CTD mods, I've downloaded/installed Optimizer textures, and I've downloaded/installed the Stutter Remover mod. I even went ahead and used NMM to install NMC's texture pack from a fresh download. I also went back and installed CASE the Modfusion way instead of the previous manual install i did, so the LLO compatibility patches in the load order posted above are gone. I went in and made an exception for 4gb_nvse in ffdshow for audio and video, and tried swapping my loadout order to have all the official .esm's at the top (as opposed to deimos and bouldercity being above lonesome road), tried moving Project Nevada up, tried moving AWOP before the whole Perk series of mods.

So far, nothing's worked, except that now I can't see my quest markers when I'm inside. Fairly certain NVEC did that, dunno how, don't care, not bothering at this point. Just want to get the game working. After all that, I'm still crashing regularly, like before, 10-40 minutes into gameplay. Location doesn't seem to matter either, as I crashed at the Poseidon research facility, the trade post where you find veronica, back at goodsprings, and at goodsprings cemetary and a dozen other places I fast traveled to.

I really have no idea what's going on. I've read quite a bit of nasty things about AWOP in particular causing instability, which is a shame since I've enjoyed the new content (while I could get it to run). It's also worth noting that I've been doing this all on my original save- I'm going to try a new save in a bit to see if it makes a difference, but I have a sneaking suspicion it won't.

Could be a VRAM issue, assuming your GPU has one gig of VRAM. You could try to uninstall NMC again ,( i believe there is a tool designed specifically for that purpose) and reinstall the medium or even the small version. I use the small with Poco Bueno installed on top of it and my Radeon HD 7770 is quite happy with it. Then you could run Optimizer textures again and select just the textues folder, don't want to go bonkers with that tool unless you know exactly what you are doing. :)

Also, I believe there are issues with running both mod managers together, there is a workaround revealed in one of Gophers mod tutorial vids...

Could be a VRAM issue, assuming your GPU has one gig of VRAM. You could try to uninstall NMC again ,( i believe there is a tool designed specifically for that purpose) and reinstall the medium or even the small version. I use the small with Poco Bueno installed on top of it and my Radeon HD 7770 is quite happy with it. Then you could run Optimizer textures again and select just the textues folder, don't want to go bonkers with that tool unless you know exactly what you are doing. :smile:

Also, I believe there are issues with running both mod managers together, there is a workaround revealed in one of Gophers mod tutorial vids...

Thanks. I'll try to find the uninstall for NMC, I really do think it's the thing mucking everything about. And funny enough, I really only started using NMM because of NMC :dry:

Update:

edgeburner: You are a saint, sir. Completely cleared up all the problems. Never would have guessed that it was my hardware. Thank you so much.

As an aside, I ran MCMUpdate from FNVedit, as well as uninstalling NMM and now for some reason my weapon icons in the quickselect menu (when you hold down a number key) don't show up. They're just this weird splotchy thing inside the box. No matter though, it's easily overlooked.

Thanks again dude, really, thanks for helping. If anyone else out there has suggestions for optimizing my load order/bash packages let me know, as I'd like to avoid any nasty issues in the future. I've been around 5 hours without a crash so far and traveled all over the map, even fast traveled all over the place and only managed to crash once (some weird runtime error about a pure cell at goodsprings? no idea, goodsprings worked fine after I reloaded).

Seems I spoke too soon. I've been doing fairly well running around the wasteland and in cities, but I'm noticing crashes when entering several buildings. The buildings I've tested so far are the Shack at Mccarran and the Guard Barracks at the Crimson Caravan. Nothing I do allows me to load into these. As soon as I click on the door, loading screen, then crash. If I try another entrance, loading screen then crash. If I try the coc command for the area, loading screen then crash. Seems to only happen with building interiors so far, but considering it's with a few integral quests I'm a bit worried. Also crashed once near the sharecropper farm near Vegas proper, though I wasn't able to reproduce. I'd installed Poco Bueno, but once I crashed at the sharecropper farm I uninstalled it, ran the optimizer, then tried again. Seemed fine that time.

It's worth noting that since things got better I installed Dynavision 3, though that's it. Tried uninstalling that when I ran into the problem, no dice. Still crashing. Wondering now if this has something to do with my mods, or if it's just a New Vegas thing. I searched high and low for crashes relating to the specific areas, but didn't find much of anything. I know McCarren has always been a problem area for most, but I'm able to walk through the camp and in the interiors fine, where most people get their crashes. It's just the shack and nothing else.

EDIT: Checked this out in FNVEdit and turned out it was a conflict with Nevada Skies - URWLified Interiors. Disabled it and was able to enter the guard barracks without issue.

Edited by Wrathcaster

Could very well be a mod conflict. Load orders are a lesson in progress with me, but I think I can make a few suggestions.

Make sure that you don't have any mod 'DLC' patches running along with the 'no DLC' counterparts for the same mod. Example:

WMX-GunRunnersAresenal.esp and WMX-EVE-NoGRA.esp
Check for newer versions of mods that combine all DLC patches into one single .esp. also, I know nothing about the DEIMOS mod but, should it load before the lonesome road DLC?

You could try running your load order through BOSS as a starting point, though BOSS is no longer maintained (to my knowledge) for FNV

Create a merged patch with FNv edit . Just load FNVedit with all of your mods active, right click in any entry on the left hand pane, select "other" from the drop-down menu and then click 'create merged patch' and let it run for a second. Close FNVedit, you should get a pop-up box, name the patch then click "OK".....load up you mod manager, tick the box to activate the patch. Make sure it loads last.

I have only benn playing FNV for about a month and a half myself, so I know how frustrating modding this game can be...Hang in t here. :smile:

Edited by edgeburner

Yeah. I'm giving it one more shot before I call it quits and just reinstall. I'd love to use BOSS but unfortunately NMM broke FOMM. And somehow the installlog.xml and the .bak files all got deleted, so I can't get it to work again. One reason I'm seriously considering a complete reinstall, just getting rid of NMM this time. There should really be a warning or something from Nexus that NMM will break FOMM, and if there is, it should be more prominant.

As to the merged patch, I'm going to try it, still learning FNVEdit's merged patch utility, but half the reason I haven't just started from scratch again is because I wanted to continue with my savegame. It's got nearly 50+ hours so far and I'd rather not trudge through all the content again, namely the very difficult AWOP underground content that I scraped through last time.

I was using the NoGRA patches for WMX and EVE because, for a reason I didn't care to look into, using the GRA patches caused an immediate crash so I just said screw it and ran without. Everything was fine (relatively) until I started mucking about trying to get NMC's textures working, then uninstalling, then messing about with Poco Bueno, then uninstalling that, then discovering the Supply Shack and Caravan crashes caused by Nevada Skies URWLified Interiors, then installing the CTD/Bugfix mod when I was getting desperate. I had the game running without crashes just running around, but then I discovered the inventory crash after trying to sell off stuff to a merchant. I do believe it's a load order thing, but I don't know if the save is salveageable at this point.

I'd read somewhere on these forums that you absolutely can't move the position of a weapon mod once you've installed new mods/DLC's because it'll bump the weapon mod down as far as FormID's are concerned, and I noticed that I couldn't additem/removeitem for the weapon that I believed was causing the crashes (a rifle from Ahztek/AWOP's Ahztek patch), but it couldn't be found in the console.

It's just a mess of epic proportions regarding conflicts, nearly everything in FNVEdit below the main fallout esm has red text conflicts in multiple sections. I don't properly understand resolving conflicts just yet, even after working through the FNVEdit tutorial/manuals and I can't quite process the information I'm seeing in FNVEdit, especially considering the simple overwhelming number of conflicts present.

EDIT: Now I can't get NMM to let me resort my load order properly. Some mods it will let me move up/down, some it won't let me change the position at all. FOMM won't work at all now, none of the fixes listed allow me to use it without instantly crashing. I'm reinstalling New Vegas, backing up all the archived mods, and starting over. Never, ever again will I use NMM for anything. Things were absolutely peachy with FOMM until I started using NMM for NMC's texture pack simply because that's what the modder recommended, and it was the worst decision I could possibly make.

Hopefully after a complete uninstall/reinstall of the game I can get FOMM to work again, but at this point even after uninstalling NMM I can't get FOMM to work. Lesson learned, completely better off without NMM. Couldn't stand the program, but didn't have much of a choice after it broke FOMM but to use it. It was also producing tons of duplicate entries for mods in the "plugins" section and trying to load readme's as plugins. No more. Going to try again, merge patching and getting load order sorted out from scratch before I begin the game, and of course, without letting NMM anywhere near my PC.

Edited by Wrathcaster

I never used NMM so i can't really comment on it. I don't mind the extra steps that are sometimes required to install mods with FOMM (such as repackaging archives with esp/esm's placed into the same folders as the data folders) . I guess i'm just used to FOMM and see no reason to change over. The 'download with manager' feature for NMM isn't enough to swing me over.

I installed NMC small with FOMM by just using the 'AddFOMod' option in the package manager, it installed fine. Just point it to the archive. If you decide on a fresh install, you could always backup your FNV data folder before you install any texture replacements/enhancers.

I would try the simple merged patch with FONVedit before nuking the game and it's related folders/programs......it's worth a shot. I create a new one everytime I install a mod (except for bare bones basic mods). You could also look into the 'post' tab on the mod page of the mods that you think are causing issues. You may just find some information relevant to your problems with a particular mod.

OMT, I you do decide to go the absolute nuke route, I would uninstall everything....The game, mod manager/s the mygames/falloutnv folder, then restart your computer, run a registry cleaner (such as the one included with CCleaner), reststart again and reinstall the game, then install just one of the mod managers. Oh, and make a copy of that saved game you want to keep and place it in another non-game related folder before you repave FNV, you may be able to put it back into the saved games folder in mydocuments/mygames/falloutnv/saved games folder and replay it after you get everything reinstalled and your mods playing nicely together. Again, worth a shot although you may have to make a "clean" save from it.

Good luck.

Edited by edgeburner