Upgrading my PC, need modding advice!

Doyledeth

You do realize the OP has 8GB of ram right?

When he said "doesn't skyrim only use 4GB" it was in reply to someone who said he should up his ram to 16GB.

That pretty much makes your response entirely invalid. What about all the other programs? Well he has an extra 4GB of ram for that. Also, yes Skyrim is only able to use 4GB, and yes, it is pretty much a rule.

Also, mods do not effect the limit no matter how much ram you have. The limit will still be 4GB.

I have a feeling you don't really understand 32bit applications. It's irritating when someone makes a post acting as if they know something but clearly don't. Stop teaching crappy information please XD. Also, stop assuming he only has 4GB of ram when he already posted the amount he has right on the first post.

I will say however that 16GB of ram isn't a bad upgrade, however I really don't think it's necessary if you are only gaming. If you are doing video editing, artwork, or something along those lines then it can help a lot.

No, my response isn't invalid. He's asking about what he should do to upgrade his system. You're saying 8gb is plenty. I'm saying it's not. Regardless of what Skyrim uses, 8gb is going to be pretty limiting for the future. Ram is cheap. Make the move now and plan it into your motherboard.

I would say 8gb right now is average. Both of my systems have more than that. My laptop has 12 with an i7, and I wish it had more, because when I run 3ds max I still get issues within the program with things rendering correctly. My desktop has 16gb, and right now I would say it's perfect for everything I can throw at it, and it only has an old Q6600 quad core.

It also depends a great deal on what OS he's using since the newer ones (I _think_ Win 7 and up) actually hold your memory in reserve for other applications.

My understanding of 32 bit applications is perfectly fine thank you.

And yes, it does matter what types of mods he's running, for reasons I already stated. If he has a 8gb system and he's running something like Norton that hogs your resources, or Steam decides to update (which usually crashes my skyrim), or he has other things running in the background, he's gonna have a bad day with mods that use more resources. Just because Skyrim can use up to 4gb, doesn't mean the rest of his system isn't using 6 at that moment.

You're trying to limit the discussion to what is needed to run Skyrim, and that's a completely irresponsible way to decide on a computer build. And if that's really all the OP wanted, then I'm still telling him/her, that it's the wrong way to plan an upgrade. If you can't run the game because you need a different video card, that's one thing, but to do a full system upgrade, you should sit down and decide everything you're going to use it for and how long you can get out of it.

Otherwise, we should eliminate the discussion of Ram from the get-go, because as I see it, Skyrim cares a hell of a lot more about what type of video card setup you have than it does about your base processor or the amount of memory you have.

Edited by Fistandilius

You do realize the OP has 8GB of ram right?

When he said "doesn't skyrim only use 4GB" it was in reply to someone who said he should up his ram to 16GB.

That pretty much makes your response entirely invalid. What about all the other programs? Well he has an extra 4GB of ram for that. Also, yes Skyrim is only able to use 4GB, and yes, it is pretty much a rule.

Also, mods do not effect the limit no matter how much ram you have. The limit will still be 4GB.

I have a feeling you don't really understand 32bit applications. It's irritating when someone makes a post acting as if they know something but clearly don't. Stop teaching crappy information please XD. Also, stop assuming he only has 4GB of ram when he already posted the amount he has right on the first post.

I will say however that 16GB of ram isn't a bad upgrade, however I really don't think it's necessary if you are only gaming. If you are doing video editing, artwork, or something along those lines then it can help a lot.

No, my response isn't invalid. He's asking about what he should do to upgrade his system. You're saying 8gb is plenty. I'm saying it's not. Regardless of what Skyrim uses, 8gb is going to be pretty limiting for the future. Ram is cheap. Make the move now and plan it into your motherboard.

I would say 8gb right now is average. Both of my systems have more than that. My laptop has 12 with an i7, and I wish it had more, because when I run 3ds max I still get issues within the program with things rendering correctly. My desktop has 16gb, and right now I would say it's perfect for everything I can throw at it, and it only has an old Q6600 quad core.

It also depends a great deal on what OS he's using since the newer ones (I _think_ Win 7 and up) actually hold your memory in reserve for other applications.

My understanding of 32 bit applications is perfectly fine thank you.

And yes, it does matter what types of mods he's running, for reasons I already stated. If he has a 8gb system and he's running something like Norton that hogs your resources, or Steam decides to update (which usually crashes my skyrim), or he has other things running in the background, he's gonna have a bad day with mods that use more resources. Just because Skyrim can use up to 4gb, doesn't mean the rest of his system isn't using 6 at that moment.

You're trying to limit the discussion to what is needed to run Skyrim, and that's a completely irresponsible way to decide on a computer build. And if that's really all the OP wanted, then I'm still telling him/her, that it's the wrong way to plan an upgrade. If you can't run the game because you need a different video card, that's one thing, but to do a full system upgrade, you should sit down and decide everything you're going to use it for and how long you can get out of it.

Otherwise, we should eliminate the discussion of Ram from the get-go, because as I see it, Skyrim cares a hell of a lot more about what type of video card setup you have than it does about your base processor or the amount of memory you have.

Ok ... so how is it, that on my system, I have 8GB of RAM and have NO issues running any game at all? Heck even the latest games run perfectly fine. I never have issues with ram. Heck, I even ran a full STEP install of skyrim and it ran fine. We all know how many mods STEP uses. So 8 or 16GB of ram will not make any difference at all in the amount or the type of mods you use, at least not a noticeable difference.

HERE ... READ http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-ram-do-i-need-early-2013-edition-7000011139/

You might learn something >.>

I already mentioned if you are running programs like photoshop, video editing, modelling, and so on and so fourth, more memory is certainly useful.

However, we are not talking about that. We are talking about GAMING.

Excerpt from the above article, just in case you are bad at reading whole articles as well.

"Be wary of OEMs upselling 12 or 16GB of RAM for gaming systems. Not only is it usually unnecessary but it's very, very expensive. For example, Dell will charge you $175 on top of the base price to upgrade a Dell XPS 8500 from 8GB to 16GB of RAM, while an extra 8GB of compatible RAM from Crucial is around $60!"

So ... do you still think you are right? If so ... there is no helping you.

But hey ... let's not stop there.

http://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2013/06/how-much-ram-do-i-need-in-my-pc/

I have multiple sources who agree with me.

Even a video! That covers both my power supply and ram points! In case you hate reading all together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfN4A-8OT4

Really .. at this point you no longer can even disagree with me. If you did, you would only show your ignorance.

Edited by Brabbit1987

You told him he should upgrade his power supply, and I am telling you ... he doesn't need to.

According to whom? Me.

I don't care if you don't believe me or something, but I am a telecommunications trade graduate. Telecom just so happens to deal with electricity, fiber optics, cable, satellite, computers and networking as well as many other things xD. So I would certainly hope, I know what i'm talking about rofl.

Did I write he should upgrade?

I wrote:

"And power supply. Remember to use a decent power supply. Look for Corsair or any decent/high end brand."

He said:

"I have a Corsair 850 watt, so I should be good."

And I replied:

"I don't know if your power supply will provide enough power for your rig but I think it should be enough so long you don't overclock anything too high."

It should be enough assuming he doesn't overclock anything too high. And I know Outervision's tools. I am a frequent user.

Gosh, for a telecom trade graduate you seem didn't bother to read... I do sincerely hope you know what you're talking about.

As for you

"I don't know if your power supply will provide enough power for your rig but I think it should be enough so long you don't overclock anything too high."

If you don't know .. why even say anything? Not to mention, you "think" is entirely WRONG. His PSU is EASILY capable of handling what he wants and has. He can even EASILY overclock to the max.

Heck, you might as well watch the video I listed in my last post as well >.>, since apparently you couldn't figure out how to use the calculator you so apparently use often. If you know how to use it .. how could you not know this stuff?

I can clearly put in some serious high end specs into this calculator 2 Radeon R9 Gcards with some insane overclocking, watercooling, extra drives, LED lights and so on and so fourth, and STILL not need over a 1000w power supply.

As for knowing what I am talking about.... learn to use google. Unless you want ME to link ... even more sources?

Course, knowing people like you, you would argue to the end of the world no matter how wrong you are. No matter how much proof I provide, it won't convince you, because you simply don't want to be wrong or corrected by someone.

If this isn't how you are, then simply end this argument and agree with me. No harm no foul.

It's easy ... example "Oh hey .. you are right, sorry about that."

Simple, done, over with. While your at it, might as well apologize for insulting me "Gosh, for a telecom trade graduate you seem didn't bother to read" ... I read perfectly fine .. and I read that you ... where ... wrong!

You gave wrong advice .. simple as that. I corrected you. End of story. It shouldn't be such a problem as this.

Edited by Brabbit1987

I don't know if you know this, but you are very wrong about power supplies. The only time you really need more then a 700w power supply is if you are running 2 power hungry graphic cards and many drives, and eye candy lights, fans and stuff. OR If you plan to later on.

Most who build a computer never realize they go over board on their power supply. 850w should be more than enough.

And the only time you need to go above 1000w is if you are using a hefty liquid cooling unit and seriously pushing the limits on your hardware.

Oh, really? According to whom? :laugh:

Wrong about what? Please read carefully:

I'm still thinking about getting that AX1200i just so I won't upgrade my power supply for a very long time and I can put my mind to rest knowing I have more than enough clean power to run my rig.

I'm gonna buy 1200i because 1) I have money to do that and 2) I prefer future proof (this is also the reason why I was considering 16GB or even more) and more clean power to any "I think it's enough for now" options. I'm not a girl who wants to spend my time once every 5-6 months for browsing and buying hardwares for upgrade. I'd rather hang out with my girl friends. :laugh:

Instead of judging me blindly, why not asking about my upgrade plan first? You obviously had no idea what my plan for my rig in the future yet you were so quick to say I was wrong. I'm planning on using 2 770 or even 780 Ti and a stable 4.0-4.2 GHz overclock so what's wrong about 1200i? I'm also gonna use Corsair H100i, replace all my fans including ones came with H100i (I'm using Corsair 550D case) with Corsair performance fans and add 2 more hard drives (I'm using 2 2TB WD Caviar Black for OS and games/data now and wanna add 2 more) for media files like pics/videos from my cam and backup. I've asked some users from Tweaktown and TPU for power supply recommendation before and while some of them recommend at least a 1000w, they agreed when I said I'm gonna buy a 1200w instead so I don't have to upgrade my power supply for at least two or three years. Is it wrong? :laugh:

As for the 16GB? I'm playing Battlefield 4 too, and last I checked it requires at least 4GB of RAM. By the year 2014, games are probably gonna need 6GB as minimum, who knows. Like I said, future proof. It might be overkill to you and everybody else but going this way I won't have to worry about anything, I just enjoy my hobby (gaming). Personally I think having more RAM and power never hurts, in my case at least (better more than less methink). Also I'm not a budget gamer so I'm sorry if my suggestion/recommendation is way overboard to most. :blush:

FYI you can actually run dual SLI 780s and an i7-3930k with 16gb of ram and a full on RAID-setup on an 850w power supply, overclocked and completely stable. :confused: A decent rig on SLI 780tis only needs 800w. I am not a budget gamer either, I just know when things are and aren't necessary. The four digit mark is even overkill for quadSLI/fire overclocked. I have overclocked and benchmarked these machines. The only machine that needed the 1200i was a quad-sli titan with the 3930k, overclocked. This was not a gaming rig. It was for serious rendering. On top of this, after benchmarking and testing SLI 780tis, Guru3D didn't even recommend a 1000w PSU. If anyone in the thread needs any evidence that they are fine with their modest, small power supplies, here it is:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2624

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gtx_780_ti_sli_geforce_review,4.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x,3635-18.html

For gaming, it's unnecessary. Now, I run on a higher budget than 90% of gamers I know. I am on an 850w power supply and have been since 2006 (though I did trade-up for a modular one last year). When I upgraded, I looked heavily into whether or not I'd need a thousand watt PSU. I firmly believe in future proofing and often go overkill in the name of staying relevant for longer. I've worked some really cool jobs where I did get to test this hardware and that solidified my belief that the 850w would get me through my next four year cycle of part upgrades.

As for saying it should be enough if he doesn't overclock, it will be enough. Absolutely, 100% certain that his 850w will handle this overclocked without a single problem. Again, I've tested and benchmarked these things, as have other more reputable professionals. I have no qualms with your way of doing things, I just want to keep the information in this thread accurate and based on fact instead of myth. My rig is significantly more powerful than his, and is overclocked (although intel does use less power than AMD) and I am nowhere near the danger zone at 850w. This whole "in two years we're oging to need 1200w PSUs to game" thing really needs to stop. It's been going on since 2008.

For top performance, save the money on the powers supply and put it towards SSDs, a quality IPS monitor, mechanical keyboards, etc.

I don't know if you know this, but you are very wrong about power supplies. The only time you really need more then a 700w power supply is if you are running 2 power hungry graphic cards and many drives, and eye candy lights, fans and stuff. OR If you plan to later on.

Most who build a computer never realize they go over board on their power supply. 850w should be more than enough.

And the only time you need to go above 1000w is if you are using a hefty liquid cooling unit and seriously pushing the limits on your hardware.

Oh, really? According to whom? :laugh:

Wrong about what? Please read carefully:

I'm still thinking about getting that AX1200i just so I won't upgrade my power supply for a very long time and I can put my mind to rest knowing I have more than enough clean power to run my rig.

I'm gonna buy 1200i because 1) I have money to do that and 2) I prefer future proof (this is also the reason why I was considering 16GB or even more) and more clean power to any "I think it's enough for now" options. I'm not a girl who wants to spend my time once every 5-6 months for browsing and buying hardwares for upgrade. I'd rather hang out with my girl friends. :laugh:

Instead of judging me blindly, why not asking about my upgrade plan first? You obviously had no idea what my plan for my rig in the future yet you were so quick to say I was wrong. I'm planning on using 2 770 or even 780 Ti and a stable 4.0-4.2 GHz overclock so what's wrong about 1200i? I'm also gonna use Corsair H100i, replace all my fans including ones came with H100i (I'm using Corsair 550D case) with Corsair performance fans and add 2 more hard drives (I'm using 2 2TB WD Caviar Black for OS and games/data now and wanna add 2 more) for media files like pics/videos from my cam and backup. I've asked some users from Tweaktown and TPU for power supply recommendation before and while some of them recommend at least a 1000w, they agreed when I said I'm gonna buy a 1200w instead so I don't have to upgrade my power supply for at least two or three years. Is it wrong? :laugh:

As for the 16GB? I'm playing Battlefield 4 too, and last I checked it requires at least 4GB of RAM. By the year 2014, games are probably gonna need 6GB as minimum, who knows. Like I said, future proof. It might be overkill to you and everybody else but going this way I won't have to worry about anything, I just enjoy my hobby (gaming). Personally I think having more RAM and power never hurts, in my case at least (better more than less methink). Also I'm not a budget gamer so I'm sorry if my suggestion/recommendation is way overboard to most. :blush:

FYI you can actually run dual SLI 780s and an i7-3930k with 16gb of ram and a full on RAID-setup on an 850w power supply, overclocked and completely stable. :confused: A decent rig on SLI 780tis only needs 800w. I am not a budget gamer either, I just know when things are and aren't necessary. The four digit mark is even overkill for quadSLI/fire overclocked. I have overclocked and benchmarked these machines. The only machine that needed the 1200i was a quad-sli titan with the 3930k, overclocked. This was not a gaming rig. It was for serious rendering. On top of this, after benchmarking and testing SLI 780tis, Guru3D didn't even recommend a 1000w PSU. If anyone in the thread needs any evidence that they are fine with their modest, small power supplies, here it is:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2624

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gtx_780_ti_sli_geforce_review,4.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x,3635-18.html

For gaming, it's unnecessary. Now, I run on a higher budget than 90% of gamers I know. I am on an 850w power supply and have been since 2006 (though I did trade-up for a modular one last year). When I upgraded, I looked heavily into whether or not I'd need a thousand watt PSU. I firmly believe in future proofing and often go overkill in the name of staying relevant for longer. I've worked some really cool jobs where I did get to test this hardware and that solidified my belief that the 850w would get me through my next four year cycle of part upgrades.

As for saying it should be enough if he doesn't overclock, it will be enough. Absolutely, 100% certain that his 850w will handle this overclocked without a single problem. Again, I've tested and benchmarked these things, as have other more reputable professionals. I have no qualms with your way of doing things, I just want to keep the information in this thread accurate and based on fact instead of myth. My rig is significantly more powerful than his, and is overclocked (although intel does use less power than AMD) and I am nowhere near the danger zone at 850w. This whole "in two years we're oging to need 1200w PSUs to game" thing really needs to stop. It's been going on since 2008.

For top performance, save the money on the powers supply and put it towards SSDs, a quality IPS monitor, mechanical keyboards, etc.

Well glad someone actually agrees with me and knows what they are talking about, and you provided a very nice read too. I would also like to point out since I failed to mention in the passed, I actually only have a 700w power supply with liquid cooling and my system is overclocked. It's not overclocked to the max though, but that isn't due to the power supply, just personal preference. Don't like running my rigs too hot. Not to mention the higher you go, the more unstable.

Ok ... so how is it, that on my system, I have 8GB of RAM and have NO issues running any game at all? Heck even the latest games run perfectly fine. I never have issues with ram. Heck, I even ran a full STEP install of skyrim and it ran fine. We all know how many mods STEP uses. So 8 or 16GB of ram will not make any difference at all in the amount or the type of mods you use, at least not a noticeable difference.

HERE ... READ http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-ram-do-i-need-early-2013-edition-7000011139/

I already mentioned if you are running programs like photoshop, video editing, modelling, and so on and so fourth, more memory is certainly useful.

Excerpt from the above article, just in case you are bad at reading whole articles as well.

"Be wary of OEMs upselling 12 or 16GB of RAM for gaming systems. Not only is it usually unnecessary but it's very, very expensive. For example, Dell will charge you $175 on top of the base price to upgrade a Dell XPS 8500 from 8GB to 16GB of RAM, while an extra 8GB of compatible RAM from Crucial is around $60!"

Even a video! That covers both my power supply and ram points! In case you hate reading all together.

Really .. at this point you no longer can even disagree with me. If you did, you would only show your ignorance.

There's really no point in arguing with you and I don't intend to. You can't make a case for someone else by saying, "this works for me." You have no idea what's running on his or her system or what use they're going to get out of it.

And if you're going to argue prices, don't start quoting well known proprietary systems like Dell.

Oh, and btw, you conveniently left out the rest of the article:

"The time when more than 8GB of RAM becomes useful and starts paying for itself is when you're running a number of resource-heavy applications simultaneously especially image or video processing, CAD, or 3D modelling. Try running Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and After Effects side-by-side on a system with 8GB of RAM, then bump that up and feel the difference.

Having more than 8GB also comes in handy if you make extensive use of virtualization tools such as Microsoft Hyper-V or VMWare Workstaton, especially if you run multiple operating systems simultaneously."

I have nothing more to add here. The OP can take whatever he/she wants from this, but I for one am not going to sit here and argue with you until we get moderated.

Edited by Fistandilius

There's really no point in arguing with you and I don't intend to. You can't make a case for someone else by saying, "this works for me." You have no idea what's running on his or her system or what use they're going to get out of it.

And if you're going to argue prices, don't start quoting well known proprietary systems like Dell.

Oh, and btw, you conveniently left out the rest of the article:

"The time when more than 8GB of RAM becomes useful and starts paying for itself is when you're running a number of resource-heavy applications simultaneously especially image or video processing, CAD, or 3D modelling. Try running Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and After Effects side-by-side on a system with 8GB of RAM, then bump that up and feel the difference.

Having more than 8GB also comes in handy if you make extensive use of virtualization tools such as Microsoft Hyper-V or VMWare Workstaton, especially if you run multiple operating systems simultaneously."

I have nothing more to add here. The OP can take whatever he/she wants from this, but I for one am not going to sit here and argue with you until we get moderated.

The part you quoted in the article is exactly 100% what i have already said >.> .. so no idea what the heck you are trying to prove there.

Again we are not talking about him running those applications. We are talking about gaming. Also ... I gave you multiple sources .. good job on just using one and not the others.

you have nothing more to add .. because just face it ... you are wrong .. end of story.

I have said multiple times, gaming PCs do not require more than 8GB of memory UNLESS you are doing video editing, photoshop, or 3D design or something along those lines.

It's almost as if you are not even reading what I type.

Also how did I conveniently leave out .. when I posted the WHOLE thing for you to look at >.>? It's not like I posted a portion with out giving you the link.

Edit: "And if you're going to argue prices, don't start quoting well known proprietary systems like Dell."

If you really only got the Dell portion of that quote .. you really missed the point entirely. I wasn't arguing prices ..I was showing the article says more then 8GB is unnecessary for a gaming pc. They added to that, as well companies price it higher as an also.

"Not only is it usually unnecessary"

The Keyword is Not Only. Meaning it is both unnecessary AND companies up prices significantly for it. However, you can ignore the prices portion as that wasn't the point as I said. Heck I even highlighted the part i wanted you to loo kat .. and it still confused you XD. Good job at missing it.

And you are right, argument over, as I feel it's really unnecessary since I doubt you will ever understand or learn.

Edited by Brabbit1987

Hello,

I'm upgrading my PC to be able to play a heavily modded Skyrim with all DLCS. Here is what my specs will be....

ONE: XFX Double D R9-280X-TDFD Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 CrossFireX Support Video Card

8 GB DDR ram

1 TB HDD and TWO 120GB SSD's (Skyrim will be on one of these)

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Processor

I want to be able to use REALVISION ENB on top of their recommended texture mods. Armor/weapons textures, city expansions, open cities etc etc. I would like to be able to run at least 175-200 mods. Some big, some small. Either WARZONES or IMMERSIVE PATROLS and a decent amount of housing/dungeon/new city mods; including KING OF RIVERHELM and BECOME HIGH KING OF SKYRIM, if compatible. I also want to be able to add many NPCs to each city, CROWDED CITIES for example and many many other mods.

Which texture sizes should I choose and which resolution should I be on? My new card has many resolution options.....

ANALOG: 2048 x 1536

DIGITAL: 2560 x 1600 (DVI); 4096 x 2160 (HDMI;DP)

Should I stick with 1980 x 1080, or can I go up a notch? Can I use ULTRA settings or even HIGH? Everyone's help is appreciated.

ALSO: I also want to know how I should test the game, IN GAME to see if it crashes? I remember reading up on this awhile ago and can't find it anywhere now. It had something to do with a SPEEDMULT setting and TCL.

Resolution depends on your monitor. If your monitor can't do above 1080p a card isn't going to make it do that. Do you have a monitor that's 2560x1600? That should easily make the decision for you. :)

As for testing, you type "player.setav speedmult 500" and run around outdoors in resource-hogging areas. If you're running fine, speed it up to 1000. Basically loading a lot at once to quickly see if your system is handling it/stable.

For texture sizes, try to mix and match. It's hard to tell for your machine. I will say this: I use 4000 textures whenever I can find them, but when I loaded up the 2000 versions I didn't actually notice that much of a difference on most things. There are some things, such as skin textures, where larger sizes/detail becomes more of a gain in how things look. A lot of the time it's a huge decrease in performance for differences you have to pixel-peep at to see. Play with it. Install medium textures here and there, then take screenshots, install the higher resolution versions and go back and take screenshots again. :)

I have said multiple times, gaming PCs do not require more than 8GB of memory UNLESS you are doing video editing, photoshop, or 3D design or something along those lines.

Just out of curiosity, where do you think those mods you're talking about came from?

You don't need more than 8GB unless you intend on creating these mods yourself.