Re-sizing equipment based on what is worn underneath in-game?

LogicRock

Example: Mods with equippable bandoliers, pauldrons, backpacks, capes, and cloaks, and whatever else is applied on top of the base player and outfit model.

To my recollection, historically Skyrim works on a simplistic system where geometry scales only between the _0 and _1 .nif files. This means for a mod like Bandolier Bags and Pouches, if you wear nothing underneath the bandoliers, bags, and pouches, the models appear to float over the character model.

Fallout 4 has a different system where equipment appears to fit whatever size clothing is compatible with the equipment.

With new mod developments, is it now possible to scale additional equipment to better fit character and outfit models?

Edited by LogicRock

"Body_0" and "Body_1" only define a span, which is then blended via the player/NPC weight.

So if your weight is 0, you use only the Body_0 definition. If you use weight 100 you use the body_1 def. If you use weight 50, the body will be half way between the two thresholds. And that goes for any item that's been fitted to their body definitions in Bodyslide.

Of course, any item that isn't buildable in Bodyslide is a problem, since it effectively comes in one and only one size. The size the author determined up front.

Ok so at least equipabble items could be built with two nifs to at least have a weight slider

There are mods to modify character bodies mid-game, like the mods that let you explore CBBE body types in Racemenu. I figured that same sort of system may be able to add a third dimension to the weight slider for equipped items.

Ok, I'm not sure I'm following you...

If

• You use a body built in Bodyslide
  • And the body contains different settings for the low (0) and high (100) weight versions
  • And you check the "Build Morphs" checkbox to generate tri files for racemenu

Then in-game, when using Racemenu or another mod (or even via console) to change your weight, you should see a corresponding change in your body, balancing the low and high weight differences based on your body weight.

Ex1: you set your weight to 50

- Your body will be half way between the low threshold (0 weight) body size and the high threshold (100 weight) body size.

Ex2: you set your body weight to 25

- Your body will look more like the 0 weight body than the 100 weight body,

Ex3: You set your weight to 100

- Your body will look identical to the 100 weight body.

The same afaik applies to armors and clothing, as long as they weren't designed as fixed geometry (Usually seen in old UNP and CBBE follower bodies , and clothing, armor and jewelry)

No, thats not what I am talking about. Ill try to explain better.

I mean, for example, say theres a bandolier. It is made to fit the geometry of the player with clothes or armor on. This means when the player is naked underneath the bandolier, or wearing form-fitting clothing, the bandolier appears to float around the player model.

I want to know if there is a way to make it so that the model automatically changes size and shape as the player equips & unequips other items. Such as, when the player equips a bandolier on a naked or shirtless player model, the bandolier is fitted to that appearance. Then, as the player equips clothes or armor, in that moment the bandolier scales up to better fit the appearance of the clothing or armor, no further steps taken by the player.

And so forth for any other item, be it equippable capes, pauldrons, etc.

Ah... I see now. Yes, if there's a baked in offset, or if you prefer, "padding", like the bandolier example that lifts it away from the skin far enough to overlay onto their clothing rather than under it.

Although if it has a accompanying Bodyslide, and it's built in Bodyslide for your player, it still gets affected by the two weight thresholds, so that if you use the 0 weight, it'll wrap over your clothing correctly, or if you use the 100 weight, it will also still wrap over correctly (since all the dimensions are increased or decreased respectively)

There's only one clothing/armor mod I have where the assets are truly locked, an old version of "Furset Armor (Frostfall Aware)" that uses a single, oversized body model (no bodyslide) so that it goes over pretty much anyone and their armor (at least to some degree, with only bits sticking through the included coat, poncho, or gloves)

It'd be cool if they automatically readjusted according to whether you're wearing clothes or not, but tbh, I have no idea how you'd pull that off.

I suppose, if you got really creative and estimated the offsets very well, since they (bandoliers, belts, etc) don't contain a literal copy of the body like a slot 32 item does, you could conceivably create a secondary bodyslide preset with just the right offset in weight so that when worn naked, they'd fit snug, But that would render them useless for wearing over clothing, since they'd now be buried into the "fabric"

So in answer: Maybe? But I don't think so, at least not yet, although in principle, it would be a cool idea. In fact, if someone could pull it off, it or a more generalized mod could conceivably replace Bodyslide with a dynamic, one-size fits all (stretch to fit boundaries) approach, so that no matter which NPC (or the player) wore a bit of clothing or armor, it'd always fit.

If you created a second set of meshes that did fit snug when not wearing the intended armor / clothing, it may be possible to swap out the mesh on the armor record at run time via SKSE's added function SetModelPath for armor records and SetModelPath for armor addon records. FYI - Armor records are for instances laying about on the ground and in containers. Armor Addon records are for when the armor is actually equipped on an actor.