3D Realms closes down

JimboUK

Wow 13 years, imagine what super computers they must have used, for the first 5 years of development, man the graphics are way ahead of its time, or was back in the day. imagine the costs, holly.

I'm not to surprised they went under.

Wow 13 years, imagine what super computers they must have used, for the first 5 years of development, man the graphics are way ahead of its time, or was back in the day. imagine the costs, holly.

I'm not to surprised they went under.

Well, in the early years I believe they were working with the quake engine, then they moved to the unreal engine for that 2001 promo. Compared to other stuff from about the same time (Morrowind was done in 2002, Quake 3 was done in 12/99, half-life 1 11/98) the graphics really aren't that far off, especially when you consider that nearly everything was scripted scenes or pre-rendered to look like gameplay. Before the 2001 promo, not much was shown about the game.

The major factor behind the demise is that it was being remade over and over and over and over and over again, sometimes from scratch using a new engine. Any project which is so poorly led would have failed.

Archived