considering a new mouse. got a few in mind. opinions?

ive only been looking at mouses since today, but i think i wanna buy a new mouse shortly. i have a Logitech G500 atm and i do like it, though theyve been not so reliable. im on my second one (through warranty) and i almost got a 3rd, but the problem resolved itself. the main reason id like to grab a new mouse, is id like more buttons on the side. the G500 has 2, and thats nice for browsing, and i always use them in games for opening the map or melee or something. but i always have a few other things i wish i could map to a button next to my thumb. this has become more realized as ive been playing GW2 again for the passed couple of months and is always something i think about whenever i start any RPG like FO3 or Torchlight, or even FarCry 3.

the two mice ive narrowed it down to are the Razer Naga and the Razer Hex. normally not a huge fan of Razer. heard a lot of crap about them when i was researching keyboards (got a Corsair K90 btw) but of the mice i see recommended for MMO/RPGs these two are the only two i like. i was also looking at the Corsair M95, but i dont like the button placement. i want to reduce the amount i have to press buttons with the knuckle of my thumb. this is the issue with the naga as well, but i dont see it as much of an issue with the hex.

the one thing im not excited about for the Naga is the fact is has so many buttons (which is also a Pro for it) 12 buttons is a lot (plus the wheel buttons and stuff too) i doubt id ever use them, and theres no where to rest my thumb when i dont wanna press buttons, unlike the naga, which has a space for your thumb. i like that the Hex has fewer buttons. it seems like it would be easier to find which button i wanna press, and less room for error. also, as i mentioned, i wouldnt be pressing as many buttons with the knuckle of my thumb, with the Naga i feel like the bottom six buttons (if they even get used) would mostly be pressed with my knuckle, or id have to really bend my thumb....the one plus of 12 buttons, is knowing i have more then enough buttons. that itd be extremely unliking to run into a scenario where i dont have enough buttons. i doubt id need more then 6 with the Hex, but still. in this one Pro, id rather have buttons i dont use, then wish i had more buttons.

the only thing i can really do is see if Best Buy or Staples or something carry either of these two in store, where i can maybe place it in my hand. the only way to know for sure what is better would be to see how comfortable it is for me to reach the buttons with my thumb. if the Naga was indeed comfortable for me, it would be the obvious choice, but if it wasnt, then the Hex might be the answer.

anyways, Do any of you have either of these mice? or the Corsair M95? any other mice youd recommend?

Thanks All! :D

I know a couple of people that have the Razer Naga, so I've had a chance to try it out (though never owned one myself). It is a pretty nice mouse, plenty of buttons on the side. The side buttons are a bit stiff, so accidentally pressing one doesn't seem like it would be too much of an issue (though, this stiffness could be a downside, since it can take a bit to get used to how hard you need to press). It does take a bit of practice in order to get used the locations of the buttons, but that comes with time. The main complaint that I've heard from my friends that own this mouse is the software. It would occasionally do something strange, and would lose macro settings and/or connection to the mouse (sometimes in the middle of a game, which is quite frustrating). I had a similar issue with the Razer Mamba when I had one of those. Though it is entirely possible that this has been fixed by now (it's been several months since I've heard my friends complaining about the issues). Other than that one potential issue, it does seem to be a good, solid mouse.

I can't comment directly towards the Hex or the Corsair, as I've never seen either one in person.

Another mouse that you might consider looking into is the Logitech G600. I've been using this one for a while, and have a much easier time with the side buttons than I did on the Razer mouse. They are angled, so it's slightly easier to know where your thumb is. They're also easier to press than the Razer, though I still haven't accidentally pressed any. It also has an additional button on top that can act as a modifier, essentially doubling the number of functions you can assign the the other buttons. I also like the Logitech configuration software better than that of Razer.

In any case, I would highly recommend trying to find a store that will let you try out any mouse before you buy. Always better to find out you don't like the feel of it before you buy, rather than after.

i hear the 2014 edition of the Razer Naga fixed a lot of issues such as software and how stiff the buttons feel.

i completely forgot about the G600. i was looking at it and i did like it. dont remember why i pushed it from my mind. plus its much cheaper

dont get g500

I got it, I turned the first in, the second one had the same problem but in a lower rate... It proves to be something about the dpi... It reacts bad in games I dont know why. I loost control of my characters movement in games... it rotates by itself periodically. It works perfect in lower dpi, (eg laptops), but at least in my system, I pass.

If you enter logitech webiste, they have user comments in each product and voting system...

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/gaming-mice

g500 got 3 stars out of 5... g400 have 5 out of 5, etc... check it... trust user comments

Edited by ermacos

i already have the g500 lol, its what im looking to replace. though i like it, i just want more buttons.

looked into the G600 a little more and its got a lot going for it. its basically the Naga, but cheaper and you can change the LED color lol. plus, its like $30 cheaper

the one thing the Naga 2014 has going for it is the buttons are mechanical, making them easier to press, but not easily mistakinly, just easier smoothly (from what im reading ofc)

@insanityman: do you find the third mouse butting, the "ring finger button" annoying? do you find that you press it a lot? this seems to be the most common Con to pop up about the G600, though idk if it would really bother me. if worst came to worst i would just unmacro it. but i figured id ask for your opinon anyways.

im not sure if any local stores would really either have either of these mice on display. if not even carry them. my best hope would be to have them carry them, and be able to open a front cover of the box or something and be able to hold the mouse through the plastic mold. rough, but would stil give me a better idea. i know Best Buy carries Razer products, but for Logitech i fear they will carry only lower end stuff or older stuff. Logitech has soo much stuff, itd be hard to carry everything lol.

might be able to get out tomorrow to check out BB. if not, im leaning towards the G600 atm. no rush on buying so got plenty of time to weigh options and hear opinons.

@insanityman: do you find the third mouse butting, the "ring finger button" annoying? do you find that you press it a lot? this seems to be the most common Con to pop up about the G600, though idk if it would really bother me. if worst came to worst i would just unmacro it. but i figured id ask for your opinon anyways.

I don't find it annoying. It did take a bit of getting used to, since, with my previous mouse, I would use my thumb and ring finger to grip and pick up the mouse, so I had to adapt to that. As far as pressing it, it does seem to give slightly more resistance than the other buttons, but I'm not sure if that was by design to prevent accidental presses, or if the other buttons have just gotten easier to press since they're more used. That said, I can't recall having ever accidentally pressed it. Though, if that does become an issue, the software does make it very easy to unassign it. For me, the most problem the ring finger button caused was just getting used to the mouse, since that finger wouldn't normally reset on a button. It took me a bit of time to get used to gripping the mouse because of it, but now that I've had it for a while, it doesn't give me any problems at all.

i think im pretty much sold on the G600. still wanna look in stores adna round the web to see if i cant find more comparisons. the Razer Naga is still a good choice.

Went to Best Buy and amazingly they had both the Naga 2014 and the G600 on display. After trying them both out the winner is without a doubt the G600. It felt way more solid. The buttons were very easy to find and click and the ring finger button didn't press too easily at all. And the side buttons were easy to press but I doubt I could accidentally click them... I didn't like the nagas buttons at all. And the mouse buttons felt like they are on hair triggers. Just moving the mouse and I was accidentally clicking them.

I didn't see any on the shelf for the G600 so I'll probably order one off newegg on sunday. Plus electronic receipts are easier to keep track of lol.

Thanks for you're help. I'm very certain about this and very happy. I'll post back in a couple weeks once I've used it for a bit and State my final opinions.