Is there a way for Skyrim Special Edition GOG to use the standard My Games\Skyrim Special Edition folder?

keithapple

As we all know for the GOG version the documents settings is now in My Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG instead of My Games\Skyrim Special Edition
That is the only issue for the GOG version.
Is there a way to edit so that the executable of GOG version of SSE to use My Games\Skyrim Special Edition (which i believe does not infringe since it only change file path detection)
Since a lot of legacy modding apps (such as NMM community edition and MO2 also SSEEdit) rely on My Games\Skyrim Special Edition to work.

So far i workaround by renaming the folder but i have to add the GOG again before playing the game.
Not fully tested but it works.

Edited by keithapple

The better question would be if the third party utilities such as NMM, MO2 and SSEEdit could be modified to locate and use the GOG folder.

I don't know about NMM, but you can get MO2 and xTESEdit to work properly with the GOG version at least. For MO2, there is a patch for the GOG / Epic games versions:

Mod Organizer 2 at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)

(look under Update Files -- after applying the patch, the next time you run MO2 for Skyrim SE, it'll ask you which version it's for; Steam, GOG, etc. I use separate MO2 installs for each game)

For xTESEdit, start it through MO2 with the following argument:

-D:"C:\Games\Skyrim Anniversary Edition\Data" -I:"C:\Users\NAME\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\Skyrim.ini" -P:"C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\plugins.txt"

(Replace NAME with your windows user name)

Edit: There is also a GOG version of SKSE.

Edited by IBEBANGING

The better question would be if the third party utilities such as NMM, MO2 and SSEEdit could be modified to locate and use the GOG folder.

I don't know about NMM, but you can get MO2 and xTESEdit to work properly with the GOG version at least. For MO2, there is a patch for the GOG / Epic games versions:

Mod Organizer 2 at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)

(look under Update Files -- after applying the patch, the next time you run MO2 for Skyrim SE, it'll ask you which version it's for; Steam, GOG, etc. I use separate MO2 installs for each game)

For xTESEdit, start it through MO2 with the following argument:

-D:"C:\Games\Skyrim Anniversary Edition\Data" -I:"C:\Users\NAME\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\Skyrim.ini" -P:"C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Skyrim Special Edition GOG\plugins.txt"

(Replace NAME with your windows user name)

Edit: There is also a GOG version of SKSE.

About the argument, no thanks, way too overcomplicated compared to renaming the GOG folders.

GOG version of SKSE indeed launched shortly after, it was quick.

But judging that there's launch-based mods (SKSE hooks i think) to fix borderless windows, alt-tab bugs, and even enable achievements...

Somebody should be able to made the GOG executable to use Skyrim Special Edition folder instead of Skyrim Special Edition GOG.

Especially how previous GOG Bethesda games uses the same file path as the other versions.

Edited by keithapple

"About the argument, no thanks, way too overcomplicated..."

^ You can literally copy and paste it straight into the 'arguments' field in MO2(once you've replaced NAME with your windows user name) It takes less than a minute to setup xEdit through MO2.

Start MO2, then on the Tool Bar, Click on Tools -> Executables. Next, in the pop-up window Click the + icon on the left side next to 'Executables' and select 'add from file' and navigate to your xEdit executable(choose xTESEdit for use with Skyrim.) Finally, copy and paste it into the arguments field. Launch xEdit through MO2.

"Somebody should be able to made the GOG executable to use Skyrim Special Edition folder instead of Skyrim Special Edition GOG."

^ It will just lead to unnecessary conflicts for people who have both the Steam and GOG versions installed at the same time(like me).

Edited by IBEBANGING