Race mods crash my game?

blueflipper

Okay, so I'm new to modding in general, tampered briefly in the past with the steam workshop and wanted to get into some more broad mods.

I downloaded a ton, all of which seem to work perfectly fine, UNTIL I reach the race mods. If I activate a single mod (The Example here being the "Ningheim Race" stuff) the game will load the Bethesda symbol, briefly show the start menu before crashing to desktop without warning or error report.

Is there any advice from other experiences people can share? I'd really like to get over this and start playing the game with the more varied mods.

This is through the NMM, but races installed manually by me through steam have also crashed the game.

If the game is crashing before reaching the main menu, the likelihood that you are missing a mod's master file or have a mod's master file below the child mod is very strong.

I highly recommend using BOSS to sort your load order and read up on the documentation of anything that it does not sort to determine a suitable location in the load order.

If you wish not to use BOSS, then using NMM highlight each plugin in the Plugins tab and look at the information at the right. When highlighted the necessary master files for each mod are listed. Ensure that you have them and that they are set to load BEFORE the currently highlighted mod.

If you are still using the Steam Workshop, you may need to unsubscribe from those mods and manually re-activate them in NMM. Steam could be changing the position of mods when it checks for and downloads any updates which can cause problems later on during game play.

To my understanding most, if not all race mods have 'RacialCompatibility.esm' marked as a master. If you do not have that esm (or a very similarly name esm, like RaceCompatibility.esm) then that is likely your problem.