The Dark Brotherhood NPC's are Cringe and Unimmersive

HedgehogMods31

They're all so corny. The woman on top of the bookshelf, her voice is just not it at all.

Why does she talk like that? And the rest of the Dark Brotherhood besides Cicero sound like casual NPC's. LOL. It's like they're not even totally messed up at all, so boring. Bandits probably talk like they do all the time, laughing about murder.

It would've been better if she stood in front of you wearing Dark Brotherhood robes looking like a cult member, head down to cover her face, and then told you that the Dark Brotherhood has chosen to reach out to you. Like you're being initiated into something, setting a calm eerie vibe.

Then she tells you to turn around and there's a small shrine of Mara on the table in front of you. You then hear a voice from Mara reach out to you telling you that these people are evil, don't do what they say. Then the cult member tells you that she wants you to pick up the shrine of Mara and kill the 3 hooded people with it, bash their heads in and stain the shrine with their blood.

You then have 3 choices, kill them or attack the cult member or walk out the door.

If you walk out the door you get placed back in the bed from where they took you, as though to trick you into thinking it was a dream.

That would've been wayyyy more dark and messed up if it went down like that. That would've been some messed up Dark Brotherhood s*** fr.

Anyone else think the Dark Brotherhood NPC's were a massive disappointment besides Cicero? Babette would probably be the only other one I liked but she isn't dark enough at all for me, personally.

Would've been better if she was quiet. You approach her and she has a really emotionless voice, like nothing's there in her soul, and then she tells you that she killed her parents to see how warm their blood was and stored their souls in two black soul gems. And then there's two black soul gems next to her bed or something, so then you're like "Dammn, Bethesda, holy s***. This place really is dark.".

They just don't have real darkness about them and it ruins the whole point of the Dark Brotherhood. Think I'll just reload an earlier save and kill them all tbh, they're basic.

edit: And don't even get me started on the whispering sanctuary door, the dialogue for that is cringe af.

Edited by HedgehogMods31

• 1 month later...

In universe the DB has been deteriorating as a group. They are at their lowest in centuries. Which is why they are kind of lame. And them being lame is probably the reason they are at their lowest at this time.

OOG I've heard that the reason for the flat acting is that Bethesda, when they give the scripts to the VAs, gives them the lines for each character in alphabetical order. This way of handing them the lines to read makes it easier for the devs to sort the lines later, but now the VAs don't know how to properly intone the lines for the scenes because everything's out of context.

And overall it's well known amongst long-term fans that TES's story and quest writing has gone downhill from Morrowind and even Oblivion.