Did a new CPU improve your Draw Calls fps performance?

odeyssus

As a lot of you know, draw calls above 10-11K cause massive fps hits in Skyrim SE due to DX11 limitations. My question is, has anyone upgraded to a modern cpu like the 13900k from something like a 9700k and seen a significant FPS improvement in their game? I am trying to find out just how much single threaded performance impacts draw calls. A lot of people like to speculate on this topic, but I'm looking for actual before and after evidence on the same modded build after a cpu upgrade. Not videocard upgrade.

My FPS stays at 60fps at 1080p until I hit around 10k draw calls. Then it drops to around 45fps. This is on a heavily modded build (600+mods) with ENB, Dyndolod Ultra Trees, Grass Cached out to Far Lod, 4K textures, etc.

All I want to know is if you upgraded your CPU and saw a significant improvement or not in draw call performance. I have my doubts on much of an improvement because of DX11's "supposed" soft cap on draw calls around 11K.

Thank you,

Odey

• 2 weeks later...

If its a DX11 issue, then upgrading the proc likely isn't going to help much.....

The question is how much. There are no definitive benchmarks showing how much single core performance impacts draw calls in Skyrim. At least not that I can find. The vast majority of FPS slow downs or spikes (on high end systems) seems to be caused by draw calls above 10K from my research on this topic and personal experience on over 50 different modded builds.

Draw calls seem to be the number one culprit of poor FPS in Skyrim.

Here is a video of modded Skyrim with ENB at 4K on a 13900k and 4090.

This hardware is unable to maintain 60FPS at 4k... As I suspected. Now, this is just one example and we don't know what type of LOD

settings he's using or exactly what mods, so take this with a grain of salt.

Still, it's disturbing that a 13900k and 4090 "seemingly" cannot maintain 60 FPS at 4K with ENB. And this wasn't in areas that have high

draw calls as far as I can tell either. He's not even running that many mods and there wasn't a bunch of ENB lights... It appears DX11 is

the bottleneck, well and *cough* ENB... Gotta have that though right? :smile: 30% Hit! approx.

There are all kinds of variables that could have skewed this test. Like I said, grain of salt. I was expecting way more improvements

from that hardware on modded Skyrim though. The game just doesn't seem to scale well at all with a ton of mods and ENB thrown at it...

The NEW DLSS Mod I read about sounds interesting though. > https://www.gamesradar.com/skyrim-dlss/

Edited by odeyssus