Thoughts on my next gaming rig?

dave1029

Hey guys, I'm forking out a lot of money for this new rig and was wondering if y'all think it's a good buy.

Depends, how much are you paying for it and which aftermarket coolers are you getting for cards and CPU?

if youre forking out "that much" money, why not get a board with PCI 3.0? might not make a difference yet, but it might in the future, and the cost difference is negligible.

im assuming youre buying this PC whole, and not putting it together, considering all the pieces are generic.

also, find out the manufacturer of the PSU.

Edited by hoofhearted4

@ Werne- About $1500. I'm upgrading so I already have the proper case for it with quite a few fans. It should be fine.

@hoof- Because I like AMD processors based on that architecture being used for upcoming consoles. I will get PCI Express 3 when an AMD board comes out. Plus I hate Intel. I think they overcharge. I already have a decent rig now, I'm just upgrading the graphics and processor.

Thats a good setup, but i would save and get the r290 instead of the r290x, cheaper and can be OC'ed to match performance.

200$ cheaper if you look around for it, also if i were you i would wait for after market coolers, they tend to overheat reference models.

Edited by Thor.

Hey guys, I'm forking out a lot of money for this new rig and was wondering if y'all think it's a good buy.

Processor: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHZ

RAM: 8GB

GPU: 2x AMD R9 290X 4GB in Crossfire

Motherboard: AMD PCI Express 2.0, AM3+

Power Supply: 1200

Crossfire can introduce problems of it's own. Don't be surprised if you have to disable one card in a few games, at some point.

The CPU is one of AMD's stronger options, it shouldn't really hold you back. But an i5 3570k at 3.5Ghz will put it to shame in most games, more so if overclocked, let alone a strong i7.

Edited by Rennn

Yes true enough, microstuttering is a big problem when it comes to crossfire.

I would go with one r290 instead of a crossfire setup, two in my books is overkill, and i own two 7950's, and may switch to a r290 in the near future. The price and performance is what seems to be a win.

AMD i would also go with, if you have the budget instead of going crossfire i would get one of these cpu's, there is a 5ghz model though can run hot, particularly if you are tending to overclock, this model and lower don't overheat as much, though with any amd chip a badass heatsink is required.

Comes with liquid cooling.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113351

amd is the only cpu at the 5ghz range.

----

Also they say the r290 can be bios unlocked to use all the cores and can be unlocked to the r290x speeds.

judging by the reviews.

Edited by Thor.

The crossfire micro stutter was fixed recently guys. You just turn on frame-skip. Eh, $400 is a little much for basically an overclocked 8350. I have a great cooling case that currently can keep my 7970 below 70 Celsius even on max load. Btw I would never go with an intel processor now. Not with games now starting to use proper multithreading. In fact, AMD puts Intel to shame when things are properly threaded among all cores. Not to mention all the optimization will be for AMD Vishera architecture because of consoles.