Finializing a world space aka The b*tch that is LOD terrain mesh gener

RangerBoo

So I am nearing compilation for a world space I am designing for a friend and I am mostly done with the exterior of the world(still have some interiors left to do) and I am wondering how to generate terrain meshes for the LOD. I tried doing it once before on a test world space and couldn't do it. If anybody can provide me with an in depth step by step tutorial or video I would greatly appreciate it. Oh and my world space has 336 terrain chunks, in case anybody was wondering. Would like it to be less but what can you do?

The GECK is known for being very unforgiving whilst generating LOD landscape. Type in the search bar 'DEM Tutorial' and find the tutorial by TrickyVein, you can follow that to get realistic landscape results. As for a full tutorial, on google type in 'truancyfactory generating lod' and find the tutorial on the truancyfactory website. Sorry I can't supply the links or help you out more, my internet speed is very slow (I've been trying to load google for 10 minutes).

It is, or can be which is why I left it out of the tutorial.

Landscapes need to be perfectly rectilinear/straight sided. If you have even one errant cell which pops out into another quad then the process fails. 336 blocks is perfect, you've got 4 quads imported. No trouble there.

Land that's submerged takes longer to generate.

Depending on your rig you may not be able to generate LOD meshes from a single landmass if it's much larger than 2x2 quads.

No matter what, it takes a really long time. If you make your system lean and have no or very few applications running in the background than it frees up more memory for the GECK to devour and it does make a difference.

So if everything is set up correctly, go to 'world' from the menu bar and select 'world lod' - then in the list of worldspaces on the left, select yours and hit the big button which says 'generate terrain meshes.' You'll also want to generate terrain textures.

Edited by TrickyVein

It is, or can be which is why I left it out of the tutorial.

Landscapes need to be perfectly rectilinear/straight sided. If you have even one errant cell which pops out into another quad then the process fails. 336 blocks is perfect, you've got 4 quads imported. No trouble there.

Land that's submerged takes longer to generate.

Depending on your rig you may not be able to generate LOD meshes from a single landmass if it's much larger than 2x2 quads.

No matter what, it takes a really long time. If you make your system lean and have no or very few applications running in the background than it frees up more memory for the GECK to devour and it does make a difference.

So if everything is set up correctly, go to 'world' from the menu bar and select 'world lod' - then in the list of worldspaces on the left, select yours and hit the big button which says 'generate terrain meshes.' You'll also want to generate terrain textures.

Okay. I'll go give it a try.

Just making sure that when you generated the LOD textures you moved the .dds files from Steam/SteamApps/Source/Textures TGA/Landscape/LOD/"yourworldspace"/DiffuseGenerated to Steam/SteamApps/Source/Textures TGA/Landscape/LOD/"yourworldspace"/Diffuse and then cut and paste the "yourworldspace" folder to Data/Textures/LOD/Landscape/ Just double check mate.

Just making sure that when you generated the LOD textures you moved the .dds files from Steam/SteamApps/Source/Textures TGA/Landscape/LOD/"yourworldspace"/DiffuseGenerated to Steam/SteamApps/Source/Textures TGA/Landscape/LOD/"yourworldspace"/Diffuse and then cut and paste the "yourworldspace" folder to Data/Textures/LOD/Landscape/ Just double check mate.

I just did and it works now! :smile: I'm so happy! Thank You!

Edited by RangerBoo