Railway system

Yoshh

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in modding a railway system on Fallout 3 as a mean of transportation. Now isn't that a wonderfull idea? *cough**cough*. I've seen GTS, and that motorcicle mod from valhalla and it wouldn't hurt much to have diferent transports :happy:

The wasteland geography might make the job a little hard, but heck... It would be awesome to travel around the wasteland in real time and fend off any raider attacks on the trains 8D

WELL IF ANYONE WOULD BE UP TO IT. USE AN UNDERGROUND SYSTEM. USE THE TRAINS FROM BROKEN STEEL. AND THE TEXTURES FROM THE PRESIDENTIAL STATIONS. THAT IS A GOOD IDEA

I was thinking about a surface system. I've had enough of creepy dark places alredy xD It would be nice addition to the game.

I have no experience in meshing nor texturing, but I'm willing to do quest related dialogs and give a try at scripting if needed, if anyone cares to take up with this project :thumbsup:

edit: Anyone played FarCry 2?

http://i35.tinypic.com/mvgqck.jpg

Maybe it could be implemented like in this map. Leave out the more urbanized area of the wasteland where the metro station cluster is located (the lower right edge of the map) because THAT would be a real pain to mod indeed :3

I actually believe its very possible, in fact I could probably make it (not that I wanna, not really interested).

You could just take some train models, make them into an activator, make a message and a simple script for it and ta-da! Working transporting train. Understand there will be NO animation though, the message will pop up when you press 'E' on the train, you chose your destination and its a simple Player.Moveto command to different XMarkerHeadings around the wasteland.

However I would only put a few places to go, Megaton, RC, Tenpenny Tower, Underworld, etc; otherwise it takes to long.

naw, i think we should keep the animations but toggle the player so he/she can move, like the command force move. then make compartments, but that will be hard since door markers cant move. hmm... maybe make like pathways by the door of the train to get to the other compartment. in the broken steel one there are 3 compartments yea? this would be bad azz!

The problem with actually having the train move would be the physics of FO3. It doesn't play nice with this type of thing. Try jumping on the Rivet City bridge when it's opening. See how jumpy you are? That's what the train would be like.

I'm sorry buts its impossible for us to make a MOVING train, forget it.

However, it is possible to place a video in the windows (the movie been wasteland going past quickly), thus having the illusion that we are moving, this would last for about 2 mins, then the Player.Moveto kicks in.