Morrowind and Oblivion or Skywind and Skyblivion?

thunderwolf86

I haven't had the opportunity to play the other Elder Scrolls titles but I have been told to pretty much stay away from Arena, and to a lesser extent Daggerfall although I did hear that one was ok-ish. I got into the Elder Scrolls through Skyrim and I absolutely love it, so much so that I want to try the other titles. with that said however I am wondering which one is the better experience for me to just play the original games? or to wait for Skywind and Skyblivion? (truth be told I don't even know how far along those 2 are and how much is left to be done). what would you advise?

I haven't had the opportunity to play the other Elder Scrolls titles but I have been told to pretty much stay away from Arena, and to a lesser extent Daggerfall although I did hear that one was ok-ish.

Don't make me cringe... :sad:

Who ever told you that Arena and Daggerfall are bad, are pretty ignorant. Although those games could be very daunting and unapproachable to younger gamers who didn't grow up with that sort of thing, Daggerfall can be very rewarding and considered by some to be the best TES games. People are discouraged by the graphics. Both games are free from Bethesda's site, but they can be a pain to install for someone who isn't experienced with DosBox, so I don't think they are for you.

I wouldn't wait play the crossovers. They are just direct ports as far as I saw, and that is illegal. They also probably won't come anywhere near close to the originals.

Although Morrowind and Daggerfall are my favorites, you will probably have more fun with Oblivion since it is a lot more similar to Skyrim. The combat in Morrowind is annoying for someone used to the system used in Skyrim or Oblivion.

I haven't had the opportunity to play the other Elder Scrolls titles but I have been told to pretty much stay away from Arena, and to a lesser extent Daggerfall although I did hear that one was ok-ish.

Who ever told you that Arena and Daggerfall are bad, are pretty ignorant. Although those games could be very daunting and unapproachable to younger gamers who didn't grow up with that sort of thing, Daggerfall can be very rewarding and considered by some to be the best TES games. People are discouraged by the graphics. Both games are free from Bethesda's site, but they can be a pain to install for someone who isn't experienced with DosBox, so I don't think they are for you.

I wouldn't wait play the crossovers. They are just direct ports as far as I saw, and that is illegal. They also probably won't come anywhere near close to the originals.

Although Morrowind and Daggerfall are my favorites, you will probably have more fun with Oblivion since it is a lot more similar to Skyrim. The combat in Morrowind is annoying for someone used to the system used in Skyrim or Oblivion.

"Younger Gamers?" my age has nothing to do with it, I am new to the franchise but because you made a point of it let me clear the air by stating that I was playing the SNES and Genesis when they were new and back then I was 10. second, graphics only break the game if the graphics are bad at the time of release and more was expected of them, if a games graphics were good for the time of its release then it wasn't an issue and no older game should be judged based on the graphics of the current generation. third, I have DosBox and I know how to use it so thank you for your concern. lastly Skywind and Skyblivion are mods and modding a games files on your computer is not illegal, its only illegal when people start charging for the mods they create.

now getting back to your statement I had heard from a friend of mine that he didn't enjoy Arena or Daggerfall and sense he and I share a lot of the same tastes in games I never got the opportunity to play them. I never bothered to watch the reviews of the games because I just took his word for it, satisfied?

back to my question, would someone else please give me their opinion as I would very much like to hear it.

Give Daggerfall a try. I managed to play about an hour of it (first dungeon complete, reached the first town, finally gave up after the first forced quest), before I uninstalled. Who knows, maybe you will enjoy it once you get into it. It's free, so what have you got to loose? =D

Instead of from the Beth site, get it from the UESP, as it already has all the patches and compatibility stuff (works fine on Win7). Same for Arena.

Anyway, to your question, get Oblivion and Morrowind. It might help to play them backwards (OB before MW) so you can get used to the attributes and things in a less 'streamlined' (lulz) game.

Morrowind is my favourite game, but given it was my first TES game, it could just be nostalgia for all I know. The combat may be challenging, but I've never had a problem with it (and have yet to install a mod to 'fix' it, after a decade of playing), but the story and world is a lot more in-depth and fun compared to later games. Play at least a short while before installing any mods, as with all TES games, so you can get the 'feel' of the world before you start to change it. I can upload a recommended mod list if you're interested (a friend wanted to know the mods I used when he began playing, and I still have the list.)

Oblivion is my 2nd favourite TES game (Skyrim being least favourite - I can't really count Daggerfall as I didn't play much of it), and while it's less alien than Morrowind, and has less attributes and challenges (far fewer factions and none of them conflict, essential NPCs are immortal), it's still a pretty strong game. Shivering Isles is considered one of the best DLCs Bethsoft's ever released. Oblivion also has the best and most varied quests in all three games.

If you waited for Skyblivion/Skywind, you'll be waiting a very long time before they get even close to how the original games are. =P

Oblivion was my first TES game, I have a LOT of fond memories of it. You should get Oblivion and install a bunch of mods for it (it has a really nice collection of mods). I haven't played Morrowind but from a lot of players who played Morrowind they will say it's a great game, but the combat is pretty bad and you'll need to do some managing and planning for your stats.

Daggerfall has some aging problems, and you'll need do a whole bunch of stuff to install it. Then do more stuff to get patches and bug fixes for the game because daggerfall was notoriously buggy (even by Bethesda standards).

Which game is the best in the series? Don't bother asking that question. There are large groups of people who say that Daggerfall was the best, People saying that Morrowind was the best, and people saying Oblivion was the best. Their all good games in their own right, so don't worry about making the wrong decision.

Daggerfall has some aging problems, and you'll need do a whole bunch of stuff to install it. Then do more stuff to get patches and bug fixes for the game because daggerfall was notoriously buggy (even by Bethesda standards).

Nope, as I put in my post, all s/he'd need to do is download and use the installer from the UESP. It has everything necessary to run Daggerfall/Arena on newer OSs. =)

"Younger Gamers?" my age has nothing to do with it, I am new to the franchise but because you made a point of it let me clear the air by stating that I was playing the SNES and Genesis when they were new and back then I was 10. second, graphics only break the game if the graphics are bad at the time of release and more was expected of them, if a games graphics were good for the time of its release then it wasn't an issue and no older game should be judged based on the graphics of the current generation. third, I have DosBox and I know how to use it so thank you for your concern. lastly Skywind and Skyblivion are mods and modding a games files on your computer is not illegal, its only illegal when people start charging for the mods they create.

now getting back to your statement I had heard from a friend of mine that he didn't enjoy Arena or Daggerfall and sense he and I share a lot of the same tastes in games I never got the opportunity to play them. I never bothered to watch the reviews of the games because I just took his word for it, satisfied?

back to my question, would someone else please give me their opinion as I would very much like to hear it.

I was not referring to you, I was referring to the people that told you that Daggerfall and Arena are bad. People who do not like Daggerfall usually don't like it since it hasn't really aged well and they are used to newer games. My post didn't mean anything against you, just the people who hate on Daggerfall. If you want to try it, go for it, I was just saying that they are quite different than Skyrim and you asked for games that were like Skyrim.

Sorry for any hard feelings, I didn't really mean anything against you, just defending my childhood games!

Oh and yes, porting content from other games into mods is illegal. Read the rules of the site.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/377405-porting-content-from-other-games/

Edited by MostlyMuggie

A lot of people say they like Morrowind more than Skyrim, but I prefer Skyrim myself (and I'm sure I'm not alone). The leveling system was annoying in Morrowind and I also like in Skyrim how the quests are easier in regards to finding the location. I don't mind that there aren't the attributes because they are replaced by perks. I haven't played Oblivion, but I've heard more people say they liked Morrowind the best rather than Oblivion. Part of that might be because there were more threads about Morrowind than Oblivion. I wouldn't be surprised if I liked Oblivion more than Morrowind, but I don't have any plans to play it. As far as old games to play or replay, Might and Magic 6 is at the top of my list. It's first person like TES games and you move around in real time, but then you can switch to turn based mode during combat. You also have a party of 4 rather than one character. Oh, and I did play Daggerfall back in the day, but I didn't really play it that much. Morrowind I probably should have spent more time doing the quests rather than focusing on leveling and getting equipment. That's why I like Skyrim the best because it makes things more streamlined.